Automatic Searching Function

I would like to suggest add feature for Automatic Searching as shown below, and I think it will improve me and many other people’s workflow. Thanks.

Click - Jump to Rem
Shift Click - Open Rem in new window
Ctrl + Shift Click - Add portal

Probably best to just expose all options for configuration to be used in the combination the user prefers. For example, I would definitely prefer the regular click to insert reference (Double click text to choose option as Rem Reference instead of opening Portal) rather than moving the viewport.

Sure, I will be happy if they let us confiigure how we use Automatic Searching, but I think a product needs to unify its own design language to provide good user experience. Like in RemNote everywere else we need to Click > Jump to Rem and Shift Click > Open Rem in new window, but why this work differently in Automatic Searching? This is why you generally see other product use Ctrl / Alt / Right Click to add additioinal functions instead of changing their basic function.

There are fewer options to insert a reference than to jump to a rem (ctrl+p and ctrl+shift+f and to an extent ctrl+f), and common sense would suggest bolstering areas that are lacking rather than piling extra onto already well-served ones.

I’m also not sure it’s terribly fair to consider clicking a single-purpose action that should behave identically across the app. Surely once a selection has been made and a new popup appears, it’s okay to have it perform a special function in that special context (though why that special function at the moment is “insert a portal below” I cannot say). I would also argue (based on the poll linked in the previous post’s link) that most people want the next easiest available action after selecting text be inserting a reference, since the partial context of search results is already visible via breadcrumbs, making it possible to select the exact reference to insert and providing some information jumping to the rem would (only its parents rather than parents and children, but still).

Of course, adding the option to open in new pane from popup search would also trivially include jumping to the result while leaving the original window focused on where the selection took place.

Interesting, I feel like we have the same mindset but with a different function. For me, when I decide to insert a reference or portal, I already know exactly the rem I’m going to use, so I feel like we already have enough function to do it ( [[ and copy). But when I use Automatic Searching, I don’t really have the exact idea of what I’m looking for, I’m just looking for connections, and in RemNote the only other function that “should” allows me to do that is Graph, and it is unusable for me in the current state. So when i found a rem I am interested in Automatic Searching right now I have to retype in search or create portal and delete it later.

1 Like

If I’m using [[, it’s usually for pulling in an Evergreen note by title to use as a clause in a sentence. For smaller stuff, I type it out normally first, then decide if it’s worth adding an explicit reference (or tag) to the concept. Obviously, proper nouns also get the [[ treatment to have a single location with backlinks.

Funnily enough, the only workflow I have trouble imagining is the one currently suggested by the default click: I can only assume pulling in a portal below is a holdover from before multiple panes that allowed to edit multiple related rem in a single document.