Editing behaviour of Remnote. (Pro)

Hi there, I am a new remnote pro user on a Mac (but I use it on safari) and I would like to ask the following questions.

1. For backups is there an auto backup that can be linked to one drive?
  2. Is there a revision history because on the Mac app version or in the safari browser?
  3. For indenting I understand it uses a tab but what about “outdenting”?
  4. When I “outdent” a rem it either gets thrown down or it disappears. Is there a way to work around it?
  5. The undo and redo function does not work as intended, is there a way to do this properly?
  6. Should I use a Mac version or should I use on Safari or Chrome?
  7. Is it possible to attach a pdf textbook? When I try to drag and drop it doesn’t seem to append it.

Hi there, thank you for your reply. I would like to clarify the following.

There are two weeks of cloud backups for synced databases that use RemNote’s servers for Pro users. You may manually backup a local database using whatever service you prefer.

Can I ask is it under Settings>Account>Daily Backup or Export Backup? I am abit confused about these two options.

No, only the above two weeks’ worth of backups and a trash folder to restore individual deleted rem.

So I need to make a mental note on when I save it, I suppose. Is there a good backup recommendation that is worth following?

shift+tab
Shift tab seems to work only if there are no rems beneath it. I have to manually enter the outline before writing down the thoughts. If I were to outdent a rem, it gets pushed to the bottom. Do you have a recommended practice to outdent a rem without affecting the later rems? My bad experience yesterday was that when I did that, the rems disappeared. Even the undo function (I am using safari did not work)

It definitely doesn’t disappear, it gets appended at the bottom of the outliner level above it. I believe there was a feature request to have it outdent in-place, breaking up the rem list if needed, but I’m not sure how popular it was.

I see. Could you share with me how do you outdent a rem, I am certain I can learn something from you.

Works absolutely fine for me, both ctrl+z and ctrl+shift+z , what problems are you having?
I am using a Mac so is it cmd + z and cmd + shift + z? On safari it doesn’t work. But on rem Mac app it works. Help?

Unless you are using a local database, which are desktop-only, I’d say Web version is preferable for the convenience of browser tabs.

Does the web browser have dark mode?

Possibly it’s too fat, though I’m not sure what the limit is or if it even exists. Try with a smaller pdf to check whether the functionality works.

I see. Because I am thinking of building a library but there is something unsettling about Remnote concerning how it organises the data. I have tried Microsoft Wiki (but it does not do search); Notion (but it does not do repetitive spacing) now Remnote (which is abit of a wiki, searchable but not comprehensive enough to put videos and textbooks.

Could you recommend a video on the best use of remnote? Currently I am working on 1 document and that’s about it.

Also, can I ask is it okay if I use H1 Header for every section? I can’t seem to find a library of codes to format it.

Kind regards,
`

There are two weeks of cloud backups for synced databases that use RemNote’s servers for Pro users. You may manually backup a local database using whatever service you prefer.

No, only the above two weeks’ worth of backups and a trash folder to restore individual deleted rem.

shift+tab

It definitely doesn’t disappear, it gets appended at the bottom of the outliner level above it. I believe there was a feature request to have it outdent in-place, breaking up the rem list if needed, but I’m not sure how popular it was.

Works absolutely fine for me, both ctrl+z and ctrl+shift+z, what problems are you having?

Unless you are using a local database, which are desktop-only, I’d say Web version is preferable for the convenience of browser tabs.

Possibly it’s too fat, though I’m not sure what the limit is or if it even exists. Try with a smaller pdf to check whether the functionality works.

Daily Backup will take you to a choice from two week’s worth of automatic backups, Export Backup will give you the option to export manually in different formats and scopes (best to invoke Export from the document menu if you just want a specific document).

Not sure what you mean. For local knowledge bases, it’s up to you when you backup (not sure whether it’s safe to designate constant backups with a third-party app). For synced ones, they are constantly automatically being backed on each and every edit as long as you are online, and immediately after coming back online. In other words, the daily shapshots are stored to have milestones, the synced database is backing up continuously.

It sounds like you may have run into a bug, but otherwise just keep in mind that the rem will appear at the bottom (and scroll the view to itself) or use the mouse to drag them around until you get the hang of it.

Possibly a Safari bug. Use the in-app Report Bug feature from the lower left ? button.

The native dark mode is currently in a pre-release state, but you can use an extension in the meantime. Do apply this fix if you go for Dark Reader (which I can recommend, set in the dynamic mode).

The official video tutorials from the in-app help are comprehensive as far as available functions go. As for actual daily usage, RemNote is, in my estimation, the most adaptable of all networked notebooks (though the extension ecosystem is currently lacking, “everything is a rem” means you can easily switch approaches on the fly using the native tools. Plus, there’s obviously no need to hack in SRS.), so you can literally search for any videos on RemNote, Roam, Obsidian, Logseq etc. in the title for inspiration. I can recommend the examples in the awesome list, especially the van Doorn article and Matuschak’s second video. Nick Milo posts some interesting Obsidian tours of different people using the app for different things (use the chapters to skip around). I think the in-app help also has some links to RemNote-only videos from some other people.

It’s not okay if you want to use different headers. The keyboard shortcuts are alt+shift+<1 or 2 or 3> for the three available headers, each of which may be filtered for (ctrl+shift+f) separately. ctrl+shift+` will remove any header. If you prefer the omnibar (ctrl+/, will act on the rem the cursor is in) or slash commands (/ and start typing inside a rem), it’s h1, h2, h3 or p to remove.