Limit-less headers?

Am I the only one who has the bizarre result of having Header level 1 inside headers of level 3?

When I’m focusing on rem (aka I zoomed in a rem), I create a structure that makes sense to the level of that rem… or to be more precise: that makes sense with regards of what I’m seeing.

I do not have in mind all levels of headers I’ve created for their parents (because that’s the point of zooming in a rem…). Then I end up with something like this… which is yucky lol :slight_smile:

Wouldn’t it make more sense to simply attribute a rem with “header”, without level, so that remnote:

1. check whether there is another parent rem visible on the screen that has also header
    1.1. if yes: show me a header of the parent level +1
    1.2 if not: it is a header level 1
  2. whenever I zoom in or zoom out of a rem, remnote redo the steps above so that it always appears with a logical structure of header in the right logical order?

If this means having header level 34 or whatever (for very deep rems), so be it :slight_smile: have the headers above 5 level with a visual representation that shows they are headers without more (simply to hint at their status).

I think that because, at the end of the day, headers are more or less descriptors. By that, I mean that they always only make sense within the context of their parent; therefore there is always a logical relationship between the header and its parents making the system proposed above a possible solution
cheers

Hannes did implement this at some point via Custom CSS, but it’s probably broken now. See

To stick up for static header sizes: if you have the same or similar header text, the size implies relative importance; if you’re drafting, you can use h3 to quickly get something down and know they aren’t as set in stone as h2; if you reserve a certain h (1, likely) for big topics, you can filter a massive document for it to get an overview/table of contents.

I think dynamic headers would definitely make sense as a powerup (i.e. an official up-to-date version of Hannes’ code) to aid in creating drafts with portals, though, which would also keep the above benefits of static ones, as powerups can be removed. Feel free to bang up a Feature Request (or I can move this topic to FRs if you prefer).

Thanks for your reply, I’ve added this here :slight_smile: