Reference vs Copy Link to REM

2Qs: Just want to validate my understanding that either “Reference” vs “Copy Link to rem” will bring you directly to the REM, regardless the same is hidden or not? Any difference on both commands? Thanks

Correct to your first question. As for the second, the distinction is that reference as found via [[ is always inserted with the same text as the original, while a link may be pasted over any text to lead to the original (like regular web links are). The text with a link may be replaced with a reference from the context menu, which will automatically assign the link text as an alias of the original rem (thus making it possible to search for the original rem using that alias, i.e. it is thereafter treated as equivalent text to the original). When you copy a rem’s link (whether from the six dots context menu or via ctrl+shift+r), you get a unique identifier in your clipboard that you may paste over empty space to insert a reference or over selected text to make it link to the rem you copied the link from. This identifier is the same for references and links, the only difference is in button and hotkey labels. A different identifier is used for portals (ctrl+shift+e) and tags (ctrl+shift+s) from the same rem.

Essentially, the practical choice is between using links as on the web, i.e. any text can link to anything, and you can only see which thing that is on hover, or being more explicit and treating references as transclusion that unambiguously shows the target (so you insert the verbatim reference after the relevant text or use verbatim references to build up new sentences around them), i.e. the same exact thing that is accessible from multiple points (this is the category portals fall into as well).

Thanks for the explanation.