Seriously considering another Tool!

I’ve been using RemNote for the last month. Love the idea and concept. To be able to create Flashcards on the fly is incredible, however… the experiences are very, very buggy.

Once I have completed a Spaced Repetition exercise in a particular document, irrespective of the sentiment to my answer, e.g. hard, recall in 1 hour, etc, the card never re-occurs and is not available when I attempt the exercise again with no spaced repetition. When I look at the card in the card list it states next practice time ‘In the past’ for all cards.

The only way I can use this tool is to select ‘M’ when I’m answering a card and it does not decrease the count hence I don’t know how I’m progressing.

I’m beginning to look elsewhere. The Flashcard functionality is simply not working.

8 Likes

I feel your pain, this is exactly what I was trying to convey here Think you are reviewing all your cards? Think again. Hope this gets more attention and a fix soon. I just don’t want to move to another tool because the features offered by Remnote is so compelling from a learner’s standpoint

6 Likes

I am seriously thinking about switching to obsidian + anki setup. I’ve been using remnote for over a month now, spent lots of hours with it, but I am really worried about the lack of possibility to store everything on my backup disk and the possibility of Remnote being shut down (for whatever reason it may be) and i will be just stuck with loads of useless markdown files that i cannot put back to anki or do whatever with it. Just the fact that i don’t have the app physically on my PC scares me off

Same. The bugs are starting to wear on me. I love the concept and being able to make flashcards on the fly but the user experience doesn’t feel very streamlined.

The latest bug, and possible breaking point for me is that the “updating your account” process is keeping the sidebar over whatever document I’m working on until I manually refresh the page. If I hover over the sidebar, it will come back until it’s finished or I hit restart. My internet/network connection was recently upgraded and very solid. I’m also on a brand new MacBook Pro.

The only reason I haven’t bailed already is the significant amount of time I’ve invested in learning Remnote. May have to cut my loses…

2 Likes

Yup. It is sadly time to go back to the good, old Anki

1 Like

WHOOT? :scream:
There are some bugs, sure. But keep in mind, RemNote is still quite new. There is tons of development, just look how many new features are added every new month:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=remnote+update

And with every feature, new bugs are introduced, problems with other features etc. And also for every feature that is presentable, there are many bugfixes in the background that aren’t even mentioned.

I also leave tools that are buggy and have no development, no prospect to be fixed any time soon and no future. But RemNote is just the opposite. Every week RemNote becomes better and better.

I am really worried about the lack of possibility to store everything on my backup disk

In your account settings you have many export possibilities. Make a backup file, export as Anki flashcards and more.

Just the fact that i don’t have the app physically on my PC scares me off

Why does it scare you? Because you worry that RemNote will go offline forever tomorrow without a word from the developers? In the company FAQ they write:

In the extremely unlikely event that RemNote ever winds down (don’t worry - we are 100% committed and fully expect and plan to be here for the long-haul), we will release all code into an open source project. You could run RemNote as a local desktop app (RemNote already works fully offline) and/or the open source community could host RemNote independently.

• We are 100% committed to you and development of this tool. Period.

Every tool can go offline. If RemNote will go offline, it won’t happen anytime soon, not with this huge amount of development right now, but if it happens, we have plenty of options and time to export our knowledgebase to other tools. That there is no desktop app yet (it’s in development) won’t change anything and won’t make RemNote riskier. You can run RemNote as a progressive web app and use it locally on your computer without any internet connection. Create new flashcards, new notes, export data etc.

If you really have to leave, make sure to come back in a few weeks to check how much has improved in the meantime. :wink:

13 Likes

I feel your pain. I’ve taken the leap to Obsidian. Massive community and easy learning curve. So far so good. Super quick

Thanks, I do take your points. However, there are tools out there far more robust that my immediate needs which are less buggy. I simply can’t waste anymore time.
I will check back one day.

THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO NEED FOR A DESKTOP APP IS PRECISELY WHAT MAKES THIS SUCH A GOOD TOOL.

I use several machines under linux on ARM (Pinebook Pro) and INTEL.
Accessing through an up-to-date browser means I don’t have to worry about finding an app to suite any particular architecture.

It also means the devs’ efforts don’t get dispersed which could slow down development.

2 Likes

For others reading this who do need a desktop version, we’re voting/discussing it here:

rightly said. remnote is quite new tool with very active developers. They surely would be bringing in requested features while reducing the bugs… i too have full faith in them…

3 Likes