Ability to type /folder to create a new folder anywhere

Hi I’ve got a feature request. Currently, the only way to make a folder is to click the ‘new document’ button in the sidebar and then click ‘folder’. If I want to put a folder into another folder, page or document, I have to spend time dragging the folder where I want it (this process is also quite buggy, I get error messages almost every time and have to try again).

This is very annoying. I’d like to be able to just type /folder to create a new folder just like I can with /document. It would be great if this was in the Omnibar as well.

(I understand that I can just make ‘a document’ and have it behave like a folder. However then it does not show in the ‘folders’ filter within the ‘all notes’ page.)

By definition, a folder is just a document with document children. It would break that definition to allow to create folders with no children at all.

If you want a way to filter for some rem that match a particular criteria, you’re better off using a tag (including native powerups, see creating a TOC as an example) rather than relying on document/folder stuff, as that is mainly concerned with appearance in the sidebar, breadcrumbs in queue, and zoom level when navigated to as a search result.

1 Like

The feature is already available though! I can drag folders wherever I want. Currently I have a ‘work’ folder and then have folders inside for each subject. I just want to have a shortcut to more easily achieve this result. I don’t see how this breaks the definition of a folder if I am already able to do this now in a convoluted way.

Everything is a Rem, including Documents and Folders. A Folder must have at least 1 child Document in order to become a Folder, otherwise, they are still considered Documents.

The only functionality they bring is an extra level of grouping (eg. Folder Queue, Share this Folder, instead of the individual Document Queue, Share this Document) and expanded visualisation (eg.: they show a breadcrumbs/hierarchical trail and are able to expand other documents from the same folder while working in another document without the necessity the use Windowed Panes - outdated tutorial, Portals or References - with or without the Settings → Interface → Preview Rem Descendants on Hover).

You can press Ctrl + Alt + Shift + D or type either /document or ##Document (the Powerup) to transform a Rem into a Document, and therefore create a Folder out of its parent Document.

• If that Rem is already nested in a Document (as in, if it isn’t a Top-Level Rem), the Parent Document will become a Folder with the new Document as its child Document.
  • Those are the easiest ways to create them if you don’t want to drag one document under another inside the Sidebar or use the Set New Parent (Move) command between existing Documents.
  • I’d recommend trying all those methods and then coming back to this Feature Request if you still don’t find any of them comfortable enough. :upside_down_face:
2 Likes