Better control + F search performance

Remnote overall is fast but I find every time the search function very sluggish, I mean it struggles when you start to type inside the search box.

1 Like

Could you try and share a screen recording of this behaviour please?

https://recordit.co/7Xq1BQcFyu
Kinda of sluggish while you type or delete inside the search box.

This is certain not the case in general. Could you share more about the platform that you are using, and also checking your overall activity monitor to determine if your PC is being overloaded?

Maybe the document you are searching in has too many Rems visible?

That definitely affects performance.

How many Rems is too much depends on your specs…

With me, I do notice lag on CTR+F search, but only if I have several hundreds of Rem visible (which I don’t normally).

I don’t have such a large documents. But I do work with several tabs opened in my Chrome, so it could be a memory/process overload, yes.

I was looking here into the Chrome task manager and Remnote is taking the most resources from memory as all others tabs combined! I think it’s because the images/pdf embedded.

Interesting. RemNote usually does a good job clearing resources.

For example, I have a very large knowledge base, but right now RemNote is just 28MB in RAM ,with a 25-Rem document open (no images).
If I try to show a huge amount of Rem on screen at once, this can grow quite a bit.

Check if you have the latest version of RemNote. I think there was some memory issues in the past, which got patched.

Otherwise, I’d suggest (if you can) creating a new Knowledge base from scratch and see if that works fine (maybe your current once go corrupted in some way).

Let the devs know in github too

Got the same issue on my iPad Pro 12.9 4th Gen. It’s not terrible though. From my not so scientific testings, it takes 1.7 seconds to register a key stroke in a document with 737 rems. Once the keystroke is registered, the results are shown instantly. When I copy paste my rems to workflowy and do the same there, keystrokes are registered instantly and it takes like 1.1 seconds to show the results. So overall RemNote is slower and typing feels sluggish. I think it’s that way because RemNote searches after every keystroke while workflowy waits for you to type your search term out and then searches.

1 Like

That’s interesting.

Another possible factor to consider: in the test you made, are all rems plain text?
(Or do they contain references/tags, which when copied to workflowy become plain text?)

My rems are pretty much only questions. Some of them are tagged with edit later or have an extra card detail other than that I don’t have any tags or references. These extra card detail rems seem to have been ignored when I pasted them to workflowy because they were indented meaning that worklfowy had 120 less bullet points to work with. So yeah my current results are flawed but I’m having trouble doing the experiment again because workflowy won’t let me delete multiple bulletpoints at once…

edit: Was able to correct my mistake and workflowy took 1.2 seconds to show the search results. So workflowy is still the winner here. Typing feels normal because there’s no delay and the results are shown a little more quickly but like I said, it only shows you the results once you’re done typing while RemNote is updating the results while you’re typing(not the case in practice though because we don’t type that slowly). I personally prefer the way workflowy does it. Here’s a visual demonstration. In the gif with RemNote it may look like I’m not immediately typing but I am, it just takes a while for RemNote to register.

Yeah that seems to be it. Showing results as you type is good, but maybe a slight delay should be introduced when there are too many Rems. That way we get the best of both worlds.

Since this discussion isn’t exactly regarding a bug, I will be moving this to the general category. Thanks for the post!

1 Like