Creating multiple synced knowledge bases

Is there a way to create multiple synced knowledge bases? I am aiming to separate my technical knowledge base from my main db. At the moment, the technical one is a locally synced database, but I’m hoping to be able to review its contents away from my computer.

Yeah! I love to use the automatic select search for references and the db pull a lot of unrelated stuff that could be in another db.

1 Like

Not yet, but it’s on the roadmap.

Hierarchical search (RemNote Tutorial #16: Hierarchical Search - YouTube) might help you with the “restricting search context” problems!

4 Likes

+1 for this feature request.

1 Like

Hi Remnote,

Great Update team, good work , Now it looks like a professional software.

It would be great if we can have different profile in the same account.

like for different aspect of life

for example

Studies( main activity is learning and flashcards)

Personal Knowledge Management.(Books, Podcast , etc- Main need is the linking feature)

Professional Studies(for career option- main activity is being able to write and collect different things relating to the profession)

A feature like this is available in a software called Obsidian which call it different Vaults .

Thank you

1 Like
  • Some way to categorise and not get unwanted flashcards/extra material (without having to manually set the exclusions up) would be great!
  • The problem with Obsidian’s Vault’s is that there’s absolutely no way to link between them. Having the ability to go down the rabbit hole when needed, but for the other Vault’s content to stay out of the way otherwise would be the way to go. This can be done in the same way as the multi-level search (the one where you press Tab to go down a level. <— I’d still implement this as a workaround for whenever we run into the linking problem (there may be other ways to maintain some linking and co. capabilities but this approach is related to something already implemented). There when you need it, out of the way otherwise.

A big problem, as people put in more and more things would be organisation and annoying links. Don’t think utterly separate profiles is the best idea (see Vault comments), and find the cause to be the organisational aspect. Also, while some people will always learn and take notes and stuff, we are focusing only on students with large but limited information getting imputed, whereas the continued use beyond a degree or in spite of a degree would be something to consider to ensure long-term usage of RemNote.

This whole thing could be implemented in a few ways:
1.Switch between accounts instead.
- Issue: Your Profiles are completely separate, you cannot link and such to anything. While you may want separate accounts to keep things distinct, you will find yourself in need of linking and co. at some point.

1. Daily Doc could remain for all profiles (unless moved by the user) to serve as a link between them, for those that use it, and underneath X profile would be shown.

• There needs to be a quick way to change between them, especially if people go crazy with the idea. Maybe limit it to 10? That should be plenty, without giving too much wiggle room.
    • They can be a row of small coloured buttons from 1 to… 10 or that only show the 1st letter? And people click on the button and get to their Profile.
      • Issue: Some people may not like the idea of how the switching would take place. Also, no linking and co. abilities.
  2. Changing how the Queue works, to be category-based instead.

• We can change what categories appear in the sidebar (Document Sidebar Power-Up). The option for those categories exists. As long as they work nicely and the Queue is adjusted to work like that, this could be a way of doing it. The issue is still the extra links that will still appear but this is a way to somewhat accomplish that at the present moment.
  3. A better Sidebar

• It needs upgrades anyway.
    • Controls and menus should be grouped, it’s a waste of time to go both up and down searching for headers, bullet styles, new document, pinning, multi panes etc.
    • The account’s name, pin sidebar button, queue and documents, search button, plus button…they can all be buttons.
    • Statistics can go under account name, About can go into Help button om the lower right and settings (looks to already be in there actually).
    • New Sidebar look:
      • Logo (faded out, new logo - seriously, new logo)
      • List of Pinned, Draft, Finished (Current Issue: some docs may be finished but will need a container (Doc/Folder) created again if we want to keep the same structure between those 3 categories)
      • At the bottom, where the Pane and co. buttons are:
        • Documents + magnifying glass + plus icon.
        • User (can also contain settings actually), Settings, multiple panes, pin sidebar.
      • I’d actually move some of them in the formatting bar instead, so they can be independent of the navigation sidebar, and keep the left/navigation sidebar only for Logo + Navigation + whatever is strictly necessary and not used often (e.g. settings).

Just throwing some ideas out there. Remnote freaked out when I tried to arrange this, so I’ll leave it half-cooked for now. I’m leaning towards 2, 3 and the workaround at the top (Tab-search) implemented as a whole, at the moment, rather than separate profiles/vaults like Obsidian/Notion, but profiles would do otherwise. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Thanks for the interesting thoughts!

To clarify #3, are you looking for something different than the existing “Folder-Level Queue” feature, where you can focus your practice only on content within a single folder?

The new Desktop App supports creating multiple, local only knowledge bases.

Yes but there is no way to practice by my phone because is in my PC :c

2 Likes