Daily Document Workflow question - linking to concepts goes to parent view not focused view?

Hi all - hoping you can help out on my workflow - bit of a weird behavior when it comes to linking that I want to make sure I correct before the data grows on a bad habit if indeed the issue’s on my end:

Basically, I’ll create a concept directly on a daily document… and then later on (let’s say on another daily document), I’ll make a link to that concept. When I click on that link, I should expect to go directly into that concept rem (as a focused/zoomed rem)… however instead I end up on the daily document where it was originally created.

Is that normal? It’s one of those things that makes me feel like my Daily Document workflow is a bit off.

Concrete Example
I created two Concept Rems, one for each course I’m taking this semester. The idea is that these will act as tags / wrappers so that I can click into these and thru the references portals, pull up entries for lectures, notes, etc.

Note taking
Then two weeks later (yesterday), I took notes for the lecture. On the daily document for the day, I made a higher level rem for the Lecture #, and then tagged the Concept Rem (created above).

But when I click into that link, instead of getting a focused view of the concept rem itself, I go back to the exact screenshot above - i.e., the daily document itself and not the rem that I linked to.

If this is expected behavior what would be the best way to get around this? When my links to rem don’t get to the focused view (and instead the parent view) it can get pretty confusing if the parent view is already cluttered.

Yes, this is normal. If you open a rem by reference or from search RemNote opens the lowest ancestor Document that this rem is inside (in this case the Daily Document).

You can work around that by either

• making the rem a document itself (which not always looks nice) or
  • as @marcothesis suggested making it a top-level rem by moving it and selecting no parent. This also conveniently leaves a portal behind so it still has a link to the Daily Document where you created it.

Making it a top-level rem also has the advantage of properly resolving [[concept name]] references that you paste or are generated by a plugin.

Maybe there should also be a setting or an extra command to zoom directly into the rem, e.g. pressing Shift + Enter in the search or Alt + Clicking the reference. If you’d like that setting or command please make a feature request (IDK if there already is one).

On the other hand it is only one extra shortcut to zoom into the rem after you opened it in the enclosing document.

I think what you did was copied a Rem Reference that points back to its original position in daily document.

Probably what you can is make it an actual Reference using [[ and when you need to link that subject somewhere else, place it using [[ again

Thanks for the reply!

Actually the links I created were references (i.e., created with [[/]] double brackets), at least I think:
CPT2104161456-577x395

Not sure if that’s what you meant?

Ok on the 04-07 page, you should convert ‘ISOM5640 - Social Network Analysis’ into a top-level rem. Highlight that chunk, press [ , then cmd + enter.

When you want to link again, press [[ but don’t select those references with a parent, ie. those without daily document in your results in your case.