Feedback on the new Multiple Sources and In-line Sources Feedback in RemNote 1.6

These 2 features are now available in the latest version of Alpha & Beta:

:card_file_box: Multiple Sources

• We want to make it as easy as possible for you to record where you found your treasured pieces of knowledge, so we added the ability to add as many sources as you want to your Rem!
  • We redesigned the source UI to make it effortless to connect multiple sources to a document - simply click the add source button in the document header and you can add links to websites, PDFs and even other rem in your knowledge base.
  • All of the sources integrate seamlessly with our first class annotation methods, including PDFs, web annotations as well as some upcoming ones :eyes:
  • This also plays well with our Web Links feature; adding a URL as a source will do these automatically for you:
    • Create a special Website Rem with the URL as source
    • Auto-format the name of that Rem based on the Title of the webpage and throw in an icon as well
    • Replace the URL that you pasted into the source bar with a reference to that Website Rem (now you can track how many times you have used a certain source via reference backlinks)
    • All of this is instantaneous. :zap:

:file_cabinet: In-line Sources

• Based on frequent community requests, we made it possible to add sources to a Rem without turning that rem into a document.
  • Love using sources? You will love them even more now. It is now possible to add sources to a rem without having to zoom into the rem. You can now add sources using the / command (just type /source) and paste the URL/ search for an existing rem.
  • Sources to Rems are now more discoverable through the new in-line UI; they are editable too!
    Fun Tip: Try adding a source to an empty Rem through the / command.

We would love for you to try the new features out and let us know your thoughts. Thank you!

Love the constant update of existing features! Find things that are working well and amplify it.

The sources function works better than ever before. Thanks for all the hard works behind the scene.

4 Likes

How is this planned to interact with pin references? Would the future metadata/querying functionality expect any sources to be stored in their special field, i.e. do I have to manually copy any pin references to the sources field, or will they still be picked up from the body of the rem?

1 Like

Can’t help but wonder if the some upcoming ones refers to readwise here😜

1 Like

If the upcoming Readwise integration can add resources automatically when loading highlights from RW to RN, it will be super cool.

3 Likes

Great feature to be able to add multiple sources. It does create visual clutter on a collection of documents with sources in a folder. The PDF should collapse along with the rest of the page and maybe have an “source link icon” on the right hand sight to signify sources exist.

5 Likes

I am agreeing with you, there should be a toggle to show/hide sources just like in the zoomed-in state of a rem

3 Likes

I really like this new feature
Only the UI aspect could be improved: see below, the inline source takes too much space and disconnects the parent and child

I think either the source should be a toggle as proposed above…

… or maybe (this is just a random idea), all things-metadata-like (source, tags), when diplayed in-line, should find a separate place that doesn’t clutter the visual and structure of the rem. I’m thinking, a space on the left of rem (see undelined icons below)

Then you could have a shorcut to “deploy” the left panel with all thing metadata, to see the entire name of tags and sources

just a random idea, cheers

2 Likes

Why not just convert sources filed into power-up?

2 Likes