Feedback on the Search Improvements made in RemNote 1.6

that is actually a big issue :open_mouth:
does this happen with <1.6 version?

always showing:saving to disk. please pause editing until this messae disappears.“addEmbeddedSearch”.
and can’t close remnote program.

1 Like

I too have search broken on the desktop app for a local KB. My webapp KB search is working just fine.

Hey everyone! The 1.6 beta version has search issues on the desktop, and is currently being fixed.
Please de-select the beta setting from the desktop to get back to 1.5.3 or use the web-app please :slight_smile:

It would also be helpful to receive feedback about the quality (priority and speed) on the search in the web versions of 1.6. Thank you for the patience!

6 Likes

could you please submit a bug report with more details to support@remnote.io. thanks!

it looks like this is happening on remnote.com. could you please check if this is happening on beta.remnote.io please?

The new search function in the web version works almost like magic. The speed is amazing, and every interaction has been as smooth as silk. It definitely improves the functionality of RemNote as an external brain, since it allows now for users to retrieve information without any friction.

2 Likes

Let’s just hope the problem with the desktop client goes away quickly (finger crossed)

4 Likes

I have difficulties finding what I need using the search function. For this reason I have resorted to limiting search results to “concepts and documents” which also doesn’t do what I expect. Every search needs at least two words from the rem matching - it will not find it based on 1 keyword. With one keyword however it will show all references towards the rem I’m looking for, not the actual rem.

I’ve been testing with a variety of examples and can’t identify the scenario or trigger that makes this happen but it seems to have to do with the fact that a Rem has many references and/or is deeply nested.

Using one search word the (concept/page) search only shows a few suggestions but not the one I am expecting.
When I then switch to full scope search (alt-c) the references to the rem (blue highlights in the search result) appear but not the rem itself - it seems to me that the original rem should get a much higher priority in the search result. If a rem is referenced often it should appear first.

When I then add a second word of the rem or a word that is part of the entire breadcrumb trail the actual rem is shown. So to get the search to do what I want I have to use two search words - one search word doesn’t show any expected results.

(would love to share a screenshot but not on a public forum - too many search results that have private information show up in the example)

3 Likes

Hey everyone! We have fixed the search issues in the desktop, could you guys try upgrading it to 1.6.3 beta and seeing if everything works as smooth as 1.6.3 on the web app please? We are planning to push to the normal server soon and would like to hear some confirmation from our beta users :slight_smile: thank you all for the support!

2 Likes

Hey @Mdas! Thank you for the detailed post, I agree with all your insights into how the search priority is not great at the moment. We have already begun working on this and will fix it all as the next batch of search upgrades :slight_smile:

The current update focuses on performance, while the next one will focus on prioritisation.

4 Likes

Search is stable now in beta 1.6.3 in mac app like in the browser.

3 Likes

yep, very smooth and fast :smiley:
Windows desktop app

2 Likes