Grey rem vs blue rem and stubs?!

Hi, the screen shot below shows a two rems I have in a folder. One is grey and one is blue.

The grey one was created when I went into the blue rem, clicked the three dots, then selected ‘Move this Document’ and selected a folder (in this case it was the same folder the blue rem existed in in the first place? Why if I move a rem, does it create a new one?

To view the grey rem, I click the bullet dot or toggle the down arrow to expand it. To view the blue rem, I double click it.

They are ultimetely the same rem, but I don’t understand the difference between the two or the behaviour? For instance, why does the blue rem have a horizontal line next to it? Also, the grey rem is tagged with #stub. According to a forum post read, ([Why are some rems tagged with Stub?]) a stub is top level rem. This confuses me too as the rem is not a top level, it is a ‘child’ of the CSM folder?

Please could someone help me work this out? Many thanks!

First of all regarding the colors:
The gray color means that it is the ‘original’ rem. In this case this rem is named ‘Case Types’. The Blue color indicates a reference, which is basically a link. The horizontal line means that it is a reference to a non-top-level-rem. In this case it references the rem ‘Case Types’. You might notice that when change the name of the original rem the name of the reference changes too.

I assume that you that you first created the rem ‘Case Types’ with the ‘[[’ shortcut and created a new rem. The ‘[[’ shortcut is orignally a function to create references (to link to another rem). But because the rem ‘Case Types’ hasn’t existed at this point, two things happen in the background: first, a new rem with that name gets created and secondly, at your current cursor position a reference to this very rem gets created. As RemNote doesn’t know where you want to store this new rem, it is initially created as a top-level-rem, thus the #stub tag.

When you move this rem, the reference from before stays at it’s position and the ‘Case Types’ rem gets moved to the chosen location but the applied tags, including #Stup, will be retained. Therefore, you have to delete the #Stup tag manually.

2 Likes

Thanks for that Henrik