Help me understand the long term consequences of Remnote

Hi,

I have spent the last 5 days searching for info on Remnote, Roam, Notion…
I have gotten to the point where I believe I have figure out the “big picture”.

Now, these are my conclusions: I want to use Remnote and Notion.

Regarding Remnote I want to use it to create a database of knowledge that (almost) self connects with itself (as main purpose) while I “feed” it with notes on books, courses, languages…

Let’s say I will use Remnote for 5 years and then check for possible catastrophic disasters (like losing ALL the work I have put into it intended as thousands of hours of my time).

So this is the classic prospect’s fear/objection before buying a new product/service that requests A LOT of commitment.

So, guys: is it really safe? After 5 years and thousands of ours of serious efforts will I have regrets?
(I don’t care about comparison with other products, I have already done that. I don’t care about pricing. I know that I can export data. I care about TIME)

I think the more time and efforts I will invest in Remnote the more it should become valuable (building my personal “neural network” of knowledge)

Is it a stupid question? Maybe it is. Maybe it’s just fear but here I am typing this.

Thank you for your time reading this :slight_smile:

That’s what RemNote’s for! (That, and Spaced Repetition learning)

Regarding being “safe” or not, what do you mean exactly?

If you mean in terms of losing data, you should always be able to export your content to take elsewhere if it comes to that.

If you mean in terms of wasting your time, then its a more… philosophical question I guess :slight_smile:

From a marketing point of view any product when has to be sold has some objections.

Sometimes it is concrete objections and sometimes it is fears.

I don’t want to enter in the vast realm of selling but…this is what I need: I need to be sold on this idea of using Remnote.

I think any new customer may face this indefinite fear of wasting A TON of time.
One can think price is the problem and for most products out there it is (and in part of course also for Remnote). But Remnote (as his competitors) has a big gigantic fear attached to the nature of it, that is wasting a huge quantity of time.

So, it is a problem related, I think, first, to the nature of Remnote (same for Roam or others) AND after that to Remnote specifically.

I don’t expect a definite answer, maybe there isn’t a very rational way to resolve this fear.

I don’t know if Remnote marketing department will read this but I think they should face this objection in their FAQ or copy (but maybe they prefer not to do this for other reasons).

I don’t think I am the only one having this fear of wasting TIME, and I think there should be a way to reassure anyone like one.
(from a marketing point of view it should be categorized as an objection on the category level not specific to Remnote though it should be declined in its specific context)

Note: I am not citing Spaced Repetition because it’s not part of my fear (it’s a separate feature - that I like btw)

What fear exactly? That it will go away? They addressed that in the FAQ actually, an open source version still remains even if Remnote sinks:

You can also download your data in a few ways:

Generally Remnote is stable enough. You won’t lose data, and if you somehow do, just mail support and they’ll get your data restored.

And you can also make local databases with the Desktop App.

The days of completely non-cloud apps seem to be over, unfortunately. Or do you have another fear?

As far as references and portals and whatnot, those are GREAT! Start exploring the options slowly with the free account, you can just open a page and list what certain features will be helpful with your workflow. Eg.: a portal to logo spec files put into your new project page. Or referencing a concept from another subject for school. Queue is great as a writing prompt. Etc.

Thank you for the resources posted!

To cut this thread short I am goint to start using Remnote pointing to a full use and integration in my daily life.

(Unfortunately I think my objection has not be addressed anywhere but I will face my fear and start anyway. This is valuable material for marketing research and I think Remnote’s department should think about)

So…it begins. (lol)

1.5 years later … I’m a really heavy user of Remnote for journalling, brain dumping, connecting rems into a web/graph that I hope is on its way to becoming a digital twin of my brain. But I routinely run into data loss events that are either confirmed data losses (this usually happens when using Remnote on both a laptop and mobile) or events that put the fear of another data loss in my mind and make me go frantically searching for what I could have lost but can’t remember (google “Remnote orphan” for this scenario. Orphan portals. Ghost Rems that show up in search but don’t exist anymore). I would have to do intensive controlled experiments to debug and explain how to reproduce these issues but as a user I just can’t justify that time.

One thing remains, though — there are products like RemNote which give you frequent scary experiences of losing your data, and there are other products that never give you such scary experiences (I haven’t used other PKM tools so I’m really just thinking of something simple like Google Keep which I can use on any device without losing data via merge conflicts or whatever). Over long periods of time, you develop trust in one kind of product, and a trembling fear of the other kind.