/hide parent command?

I saw this command on a tweet (https://twitter.com/rem_note/status/1220435831174959109), and now the hot key is corresponding to “hide parent and siblings”. And it doesn’t work for me as the parent is still showing, especially in the queue. The parent is a chinese character, and the children is an image corresponding :: the stroke order. So it’s obvious that I don’t want to see the character in the first place.
Do you have any idea to “fix” this command or to structure my note to solve this ?
Thanks a lot, and sorry for my english, I’m french :wink:

No one have an answer for me ?

1 Like

Sorry that we missed your question!

I am pretty sure that rem visibility does not affect the display in queue, so you have to restructure your notes.

Could you please provide a screenshot of an example of the content you try to learn. I do bot understand it from your description. You have a chinese character as plain text parent, but what are front and back of the child flashcard?

Sidenote: There are 3 hide commands right now (self, parent&siblings and siblings). Hide parents & siblings hides to much I think and hide parent only existed in the past but not anymore. See https://github.com/remnoteio/remnote-issues/issues/202

Don’t apologize, don’t worry.

I want to hide the character pointed by the red arrow on the screenshot.

I also though to use tue “meaning image” as first parent but it would’nt be great for futur references.

Thanks for your help in any case.

Ah, I see. I think this can be moddeled with the Concept-Descriptor-Framework (see section in tutorials). Try creating this structure (copy paste), inspect the created cards and see if this works for you:

- Chinese Character
  - meaning:: Meaning Image
  - stroke order:: Stroke Order Image

It splits the two things you have to learn for a character (meaning and stroke) into two rems/flashcards which are asked separately (imo a good thing, see 20 rules of formulating knowledge).

The backwards direction of descriptors asks for the parent concept which can be useful here.

It don’t really works because when I need to recall the stroke order, I can see the character.

In fact I need 2 flashcards:

• character :: meaning image
  • meaning image :: stroke order image
    But I also need the character to be the parent. I know I’m really picky, sorry !
1 Like

Yeah, I was not thinking straight there. If your requirement is “no character display when stroke order”, my answer is wrong. But I wonder: What is the reason why you don’t want to see the character when asked the stroke order?

I find it a good thing to have cards ask only one small atomic thing (i.e. meaning and stroke on different cards) and you get the same chain of associations (the things you have to actively recall) on the descriptor version as well:

Meaning Image -> Stroke order = Meaning Image -(meaning backwards)-> Character -(stroke order forwards)-> Stroke order.

the reason is that when I want to remenber the character, I write it down to be sure I get it right. And so I can write it apparently right but with the wrong stroke order. And it creats a false stroke order memory and it’s confusing when I try to learn the actual stroke order. I hope I’m clear.
I’ll keep trying few different things, if I find a good structure, I’ll post it here
Thanks a lot !

1 Like

Oh, I finally understand! So in other words: (While it would be totally impractical,) if you would learn all stroke orders first and then the meaning it would work too.

Here are 3 more things to try:

• Outsource stroke order from the hierarchy and use a Portal to include it back in. This is not as visually appealing and makes the notes more complicated, but fits the requirement to hide the Character in Queue and it works right now.
  • Use Custom CSS similar to Custom Rem-level formatting with tags. Currently this is not possible because tags only show up in the html of the notes and not in the queue, but this is an easy fix for the devs.
  • Use Queue Plugins API. This will probably take some more time until it is ready but should be even more powerful than Custom CSS.
1 Like

Thanks, I didn’t think about portals, its not perfect but a great idea.
Thanks for all your help and your patience !

2 Likes