How can a portal be nested in a portal?

but when I type((, the embedded result is not what I want

I had to manually move the portal to make it embed in other portals

Is there a convenient way to portal nested portals?

The most reliable way to paste a portal to any rem anywhere is copy it via ctrl+shift+e while focusing the rem, then paste wherever. This will avoid any scrolling/splitting shenanigans, but obviously requires first navigating to the rem to be portalled (can be done in a windowed pane if necessary).

I can’t believe that this was never answered. The way I do it, is to enter the rem that I want the nested portal to be in, create the portal there, then back out. It saves me from having to move it and possibly mess up the contents of the rem. It takes 20 seconds, and does break my workflow, but it works. I came here to see if someone had a better way. But seeing as this hadn’t been replied to, I’m hoping this helps someone else.
probably the problem your having
Screenshot from 2022-04-22 07-31-58
enter the rem you’d like to place the portal into
Screenshot from 2022-04-22 07-32-43
now you have nested rems

It isn’t pretty but it works for me

hi, @UMNiK @piCounter, If anyone wants to create a nesting portal, you can follow these steps to do it

1. ((portal1 and create a children
  2. use the function “Add Portal” by ctrl+shift+enter
  3. In the portal created by the step 2, press ((portal2

I’m sorry I didn’t update this method in time, because I had forgotten about this post. I think above methods are also a bit tedious and it’s time to improve the interactions of the portal

@Woo ok, yes you can add a nested portal like that. But what does that portal connect to? It does not appear to be connected to any rems, which defeats the purpose of having a portal, no? Is it just a portal to no where?

Indeed, normally when you open a portal via ctrl+shift+enter, it will open at the top level, i.e., anything created inside it will also be at the top level. However, if you immediately invoke portal search via (( inside that portal, as Woo discovered, you can include a portal to any other rem instead. No idea how intended this is, but it works.

But what does that portal connect to?

Which portal do you mean? Is it the portal created in step 2?

You can understand it this way. When you press(( in the portal via ctrl+shift+enter, it just re-enables the search function, and I have no idea why this way works too, but it works :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

You will notice that when you use this method to create a nested portal, there is only one yellow box when you press the arrow keys ↑ in this portal

instead of this :point_down:

This means that only this one portal2 exists but the portal via ctrl+shift+enter doesn’t exist

@UMNiK Thank you sooooo much. That makes perfect sense and explains it beautifully!