How do I use extra card detail? It doesn't seem to work as intended

I have tried to make it work in any way I could think, but it still doesn’t.

When I add the ‘extra detail’ tag to a child of a flashcard… it just duplicates that line: both in the back of the card and as an extra detail.

So you get something like this:

I have tried to use it in different ways, but I still can’t manage to ‘hide a line from the normal back of the card, and show it as an extra’.

Can someone explain step by step how to make it work, and show an example?

Extra card details are never hidden. I’m assuming in anki they are normally hidden until you open them, which led to this confusion

I see, so does my screenshot already show how the extra detail card should look?

And if that’s the case… I don’t really understand the usage of that feature then. Why would they be useful, if they are just duplicating the content, and it doesn’t make the back of the card lighter?

Hmm, you aren’t using it quite how it’s supposed to be used I think. The extra card detail tag shouldn’t be used directly on a multiline item itself. To do this while you are creating a multiline card, click shift tab to outdent the rem you want as an extra card detail, indent with tab and then tag with extra card detail

Now the resulting flashcard will look like this

With basic flashcards it’s more straight forward though. If you want to create an extra card detail, then press tab, write what you want and then tag that rem with extra card detail

As for the usage of this feature, I personally use it whenever I want to add extra notes or images to the backside of a flashcard that help me remember the answer but aren’t really part of the actual answer. For example some kind of tip, a mnemonic, an image etc.

Perfect! I managed to make it work by following your steps, and it’s definitely a useful feature this way. Thanks a lot!

This doesn’t seem to work for me. Whenever I shift tab, type, then tab again to indent, it becomes part of the flashcard instead of an extra detail.

Just select the child rem tagged with Extra Card Detail and press ctrl+alt+r or /card - this will remove it from being part of the multiline card and it will still show up on the back of the parent multiline card.

Using the /card function was a real eye opener, especially when it comes to using additional card detail! Thanks for posting!

/detail is a faster way to enter Extra Card Detail.

If I have a rem tagged as Extra Line Detail and wanted to convert it back to an answer on a multiline or list flashcard, Ctrl + Alt + r did not work for me. I had to use the slash commands /detail to remove the power up tag Extra Line Detail and then add it as an answer by the /card command.