How do you annotate PDFs?

Hey, I’m Andres, designer at RemNote.

We’re working on some improvements to the PDF Annotation, so I just wanted to ask you what’s your process for annotating PDFs inside RemNote?

1. Do you use the highlights page that appears when clicking on this icon?
    CleanShot 2022-05-26 at 17.16.10

2. Do you just create a new rem, copy your PDF highlights as quote or anchor and then paste them in that new rem?

1. Prefer open highlights page and pdf page in same window
    Now, remnote can not open hightlights page and pdf page at same time in some browser window.
    Current I must open 2 windows, one for PDF, one for highlights.
  2. Suggest auto generate TOC for pdf file in highlights page, it is best to list all the sub-chaters
  3. All highlights should be binded to its related chapter or section, and the page number should be an addribute,tag or source link for this highlight rem.
  1. There is a PDF improvement requestion in The ability to bold characters in PDF files | RemNote
  2. More flexible text and area highlighting, like this

Hi Andres,

For scientific papers, I usually nest the PDF file rem underneath the bibliography document and mark the PDF as the source as well. So that when I annotate the PDF, the highlights will automatically appear in the bibliography document.

hello Andres,

1. Yes, I use the highlight recap, it is essential to me (although it could be better presented)
  2. I do both:
    a. when the phrasing is important, I take the excerpt itself and put in the rem (where this PDF is uploaded as a source)
    b. but in most cases, I use the anchor : I make a statement and use the anchor as shortcut to the place where my statement is supported in the document

But in both cases (a and b) I never simply copy paste stuff in a list of rems (the highlight recap does that for me). I always create a structure and write text that would make obvious why I made use of this excerpt or anchor.

This is all just to say that excerpts/anchors and my writing are completely intertwinned (if that is relevant to your redesign :wink: )

currently, I have to use liquid notes to annotate my PDF files, which I wish there is a way to do the same in remnote!

I’ve come to just Ctrl-highlight-box-select and use the screenshot, even on text documents. That’s the quickest. It’s super easy, then, to create occlusions where needed. The only problem is that when I’m on my tablet on mobile I don’t really have a Ctrl key (I had to buy a 6 key keyboard just for that :-/ and even then it’s super fiddly) Could you please please add a button to do that so that it can be done without a keyboard? Thanks!