How does sorting work?

I click Alphabetically ‘A’ first but nothing happens on sidebar. How can I sort files inside a folder?

When zoomed into the folder ‘02’, if you tag it with #Automatically Sort, does it arrange them in alphabetical order (A - Z)?

If this works, you can do the same for any other folder that you want sorted in this manner.

No it doesn’t do anything at all. (Adding #Automatically sort tag in folder 02) 1

Am I doing it right? Pls check the image.

Hmm, that seems right to me. I tried it out myself and I think the problem is that these documents are daily documents (or documents that were manually tagged with the #Daily Documents power-up tag).
:exclamation:By removing this tag,

, and then tagging the parent (Folder 02 in your case) with #Automatically Sort, the rems should auto-sort themselves in ascending order.
Note: Removing this tag might cause these rems not to show up in the sidebar.

If you still want these rems to show up in the sidebar, you can tag them with #Document (Copy the Document rem as a tag > Select all the date rems > Paste the tag).

My guess as to why these daily documents are not being automatically sorted is that the folder 02 that they are in is probably one that is nested under the original Daily Documents folder and is therefore not being automatically sorted by default as it should.
:exclamation:Alternative: If these rems were direct child rems of the Daily Documents document (i.e. not nested), they would be auto-sorted.

Hope this makes sense :sweat_smile:

I just tried to remove tags as you said and it only sorts folders.
It does not sort documents inside folders.

You can try copying the Automatically Sort rem as a tag, selecting all the folders and pasting the tag. This will sort any documents within the folders that have the #Automatically Sort tag. I believe only the rems that have the tag have their child rems sorted - not any further descendents of those child rems.

I don’t get it. Even I added #Automatically Sort to 02 folder, and I chose Z to A from Sidebar/Sort Sidebar its contents seem like this.

Hmm, I have not set any sidebar sorting from within the settings, just the #Automatically Sort tag on the folder. Does this not work for you?

Here are some screenshots :

Can you try it like this:

• Create a folder
  • Move all your daily documents to there unordered.
  • Add #Automatically Sort in that folder.

Does this work in that folder too? (My 02 folder is a folder I created)

Thanks, I’ve tried this and I see that it doesn’t work. My guess is that it is because Daily Documents must be direct child rems of the original Daily Documents folder. You would either have to move these rems into the Daily Documents folder to achieve that OR you can remove the #Daily Documents tag and then re-apply the #Automatically Sort tag to the folder that these rems are located in.

@lyrk I think (not sure, Martin has to concur) Daily Docs have their own sort that is different from the regular sorting. This might be the reason.

Daily Documents are always sorted chronologically by RemNote, from newest to oldest. It also sorts any future and past dates above, respectively below, the present date, in the proper chronological place.

There’s an old RemNote Youtube Tutorial that explains them here.

The Automatically Sort Power Up isn’t necessary (nor recommended, I’d say) for Daily Documents.
May also bug them out/not work, since you are trying to override their pre-set sorting.