How to get rid of these purple boxes with "Add Card Content"? Etc

I haven’t used Remnote for several months.

Now there are huge cards ““Add Card Content”” and “Practice Cards” showing up.

How do I disable all this stuff? I couldn’t find any topic in the forum, which is also another problem. Docs aren’t updated or complete. These built-in interface things should show in searches.

Sadly, Remnote startup and interface gets slower and clunkier.

Maybe do the things they ask and get over it. (Add Card Content, Practice Cards and so on). I don’t think they would take that much time to do. Hope that helps!

I tried that. They keep showing on every new note.

Then I think you should report it as a bug, from the “?” sign in the bottom right. I don’t think they are meant to be doing that (they don’t in my program, at least).

1 Like

try once again. It also happens to me same.

I didn’t report it as a bug. But I did try again on my home computer (vs computer lab on campus) and now those cards are gone. Sigh. While I’m glad they are gone, it really feels like random builds are released and then retracted or updated, with no word about what’s going on. I use Remnote a lot less these days because it feels unstable and slow… Too bad, I think it has a lot of nice features and a unique philosophy.

@M_Young , What do you use then? I even feel the same but whatever the app I go, I again comeback to remnote. Sometimes even the app is slow, UI in the app looks good to me that’s the reason I still use remnote.

I tried a lot of apps and settled on Obsidian. I don’t want to have bad manners and give a lot of details about another software on this forum, but I do want to answer your question. I will also say there are many things I like about Remnote and have been a monthly subscriber for a while. But Remnote has an emphasis (imo) on learning and repetitive learning, which is not my goal.

On Obsidian, I don’t use its sync or publish functions. I like to write my own scripts to parse my documents, and so a local file structure is very agreeable to my workflow. For example, I like how I can organize my notes and research documents and images in one folder, and Obsidian can display everything in my “vault”. I don’t like how Zotero makes separate copies of PDFs in its own vault. I have so many files and they get out of sync with this mostly-similar copies. I work primarily on my own desktop machine, not in the cloud. Remnote might be better for a different work setup from mine.

For my own scripts (with help from others’ expert advice on the forums) I wrote keyboard shortcuts to process my research notes in the way that suits me best, and that process is easier imo in Obsidian than in Remnote, for me. For example, timelines are very important in my research, so let’s say I read something like this “On May 21, 1868, the Commercial Appeal published an opinion piece from … on…”

and want to quickly add it to my master timeline.

I have a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-Shift-R, in my settings) in Obsidian which pastes:

source:: NYT-2023-02-12 (or whatever I want, it’s easy for me to alter my template)
end-date::
character::
start-date::
label::
use-idea::
summary::

which I edit to be:

source:: NYT-2023-02-12
end-date::
character:: Railroad Executive
start-date:: 1868-05-11
label:: Commercial Appeal publishes op-ed about railroad in Tennessee
use-idea:: Contrast with [[New Jersey rail system]]
summary:: Long details go here…

And then I select that text and press Ctrl-Shft-A (my choice) and it runs a simple javascript to create a text file on my local drive formatted in a specific way. I have hundreds of these simple files, and then I run other javascripts in Obsidian to get metadata out of all the files in FolderA, etc. for example, to create a timeline of all my events, or sort by “character” or “source” etc.

I like how I can set up my own keyboard shortcuts, and in this case I use only my left hand to keep it as fast as possible because I still use a mouse and real keyboard.

I also use Obsidian now for my personal budget. I set up a simple syntax and set up rules so that from any page Obsidian can grab an expense and add it to my budget/expenditures, sorted by date, type of expense, and so on. Because for several of my projects, I keep track of things like a) the notes I take from a book and b) the cost of the book, and c) how much time I spent reading the book. There is less of a line of research and regular life on my computer and in my brain, and Obsidian is suiting that better.

When I’m on campus I have tried to use Remnote to take notes. But the startup time feels slow, and the interface looks different and throws up more training/tour alerts seemingly every time I come back to it. I just want to get writing fast – sometimes I’m in a talk and I want to capture what the presenter is saying. Even half a minute feels like a big delay.

At the meta-scale, both Remnote and Obsidian could benefit from more systematic documentation. I like Remnote’s local-or-remote capability. Obsidian doesn’t have that. Figuring out how to quickly write markdown on the cloud and ingest into Obsidian seems not as easy as it should be and frustrates me. Both are not great at tables imo. Both are free, although I paid for the Obsidian middle layer because I use it so much. Both seem in active development. Obsidian has plugins, from third-parties, and I like that aspect and use some of these plugins. Obsidian makes/reads files locally, and I can put them wherever I want and write scripts to deal with them. If I delete a file from the Obsidian “vault”, it’s gone asap in Obsidian’s view. That is what I want. Remnote has a much better transclusion or in-place editing. Obsidian’s version is acceptable for me, presently, but I hope it becomes more like Remnote’s in-block editing which is the ideal for me. I don’t write anything top-secret or sensitive or corporate-proprietary, so the encryption of both is good enough.

I should add that I still also draft some texts in Excel. I have a specific process for drafting, adapted from Marcy Burstiner’s book about investigative reporting.

I tried a whole bunch of apps and the ones I use the most are Obsidian, Excel (I wish Remnote and Obsidian could be real spreadsheet apps but they aren’t), Atom/BBEdit. I keep reopening Remnote from time to time, because of the features which I really really like and I would like to keep supporting its development. But it doesn’t suit my workflow as well anymore. An app I really miss is Tree, which was a horizontal outliner. There’s another app Dashword which seems similar, but not nearly as fast or elegant as Tree was. Tree was crazy fast and beautiful. Too bad the developer stopped.

Hope that is the info you were looking for. Sorry that all my carriage returns got auto-removed and so this was harder to read.

To be clear, RemNote now also has third-party plugins (see settings - Plugins and Themes, they are all available on Free) and the updated Tables are currently in pre-alpha.

To force an empty line on these forums (should only be necessary in answers), use a backslash \ as the only character of a line.

@M_Young Oh, that’s interesting. I also don’t use space repetition much. But I use filter option within the doc or folder rem very often. But I see obsidian lacks filter options like remnote. In remnote, we can filter based on the highlighted color, headings and some thing like that. And I haven’t tried obsidian. also, I waiting for proper rem tree plugin which can connect all my ideas and research flow through mind map. and still don’t know when we will get that kind of thing. In my workflow, connecting ideas and the molecular compounds are much important. Most ppl in research recommending obsidian. But my problem, is it uses markdown features a lot. I don’t have any experience in markdown. Thats the reason, I still uses remnote.

I think how you are using filters in Remnote might the equivalent to queries in Obsidian.

I also don’t use mindmaps, but some people like the graph views.

I agree that in Remnote it is easier to do things like filter. Remnote’s transclude is more intuitive to me, and more elegant.

As you say, no app is 100% efficient for anyone or everyone, probably. I also think that people (me) have different workflows for different types of projects. And so having a few different apps in rotation isn’t a bad thing. Both have learning curves too, which is expected.

@UMNiK – thanks for the tables reminder and the backslash tip. I haven’t tried tables in a while and will look forward to an updated version to try.

@UMNiK With simple / command. that is the reason I still come back to remnote. But I feel sometimes, remnote takes much time to load & minor bugs here and there. Anyhow, we can’t get 100% efficiency in any of the app out in market.