[Resolved/Recovered] I lost hundreds of Rem!

I use RemNote as my main studying tool, so I’ve spent HUNDRED OF HOURS summarizing my lectures and making flashcards. Today when I accessed my RemNote account as I do on a daily basis I noticed that hundreds of my Rem (and their flashcards) are MISSING! I have tried everything, from newly logging in to looking in the trash for my missing Rem, but found nothing! My exams are in two weeks and I NEED THOSE FLASHCARDS FOR MY REVISION. I NEED THEM NOW! Right now I am angry, but even more so I am SCARED and SAD! Scared that my other Rem could also disappear into nothingness and sad because I am actually a HUGE FAN of RemNote! I really want it to prevail and have been telling my friends about it like crazy! But now I’m having doubts if RemNote is worth it if it SCREWS ME OVER like this! I really don’t want to go back to Anki but at least my flashcards will be safe there!

Can any of the developers and admins, @Martin and @mattygrov, somehow help me to restore my Rem?? I NEED HELP! Otherwise I am really screwed! This problem in general HAS TO BE FIXED!

RemNote_Missing_Rems
As you can see in the GIF above, most of my header Rem are EMPTY! Yesterday they still each contained several dozens of Rem and flashcars (like 60 each!) AND NOW THEY ARE ALL GONE! I’m sorry I come off so erratic but I’m freaking DESPERATE right now!

PLEASE HELP ME!

I can’t imagine how you’re feeling. Hope they will fix this. It appears that something happened these days, as lots of people are having issues. Take a look at this thread, and other ones. As of now, there isn’t any announcement as to what happened.

I didn’t touch anything in my account, as I’m afraid I might do something and lose my data.

I also just noticed that the search function does not work anymore! This dysfunction might be correlated with the missing Rems. Does anyone else have the same problem?

ALSO: This used to contain 12 Chapters!!! WHERE ARE MY REMAINING FOUR CHAPTERS!?!

I don’t want to give you false hope, but I am almost sure that they should be able to recover your data (since they have backups for everything).

Having said that, I realize you seem to need this now, so I do hope the devs reply to you soon.

If they want people to really use their product, they should make sure this is reliable.

(This is one of the reasons I’m avoiding to use RemNote until I have a stable desktop offline-only version. That way I dont depend on external servers to access my own data)

I really, really hope you are right about the data recovery!

Smart decision not to depend on external servers. I should have done the same or at least should have made regular manual backups from my database… But RemNote’s concept was just too intriguing for me not to use it. I just didn’t expect it to screw up like this. I knew there were many bugs, but I never thought they could take this extent!

May I ask what you use instead of RemNote? Anki? Or just handwritten notes?

Recent updates are really disastrous, they bring much more bugs than before even impact the crucial operation. I do hope remnote could make a beta version and a stable version to keep the system reliable. Many of us have already selected the remnote to be the main learning tool in our daily life. Every new bug will result in inconvenience and influence our normal study progress.

Exactly! Before the December update RemNote was pretty stable. Now it’s a mess. I absolutely agree with the separation of a beta version and a stable version. That’s actually a really good idea!

I also noted a problem with search at some points: https://github.com/remnoteio/remnote-issues/issues/334 Can you search right after reloading the page?

Very sorry to see this - we should be able to recover your data. Messaging privately.

@Perelyn, I use a bunch of .txt files in Notepad++ :stuck_out_tongue:

(I tried replying to your message but the forum wouldn’t allow it. Maybe there’s a limit to how deep the threads can go)

@hannesfrank, yes I can search right after reloading the page, then after a while the search again doesn’t work anymore.

Can you please, comment on what your plans are to make RemNote more stable and reliable?
That would help me as well to make decision on how I’m using it in the future.

Update us when you get it sorted. Good luck!

Update: Thanks to @Martin I got my missing Rem back, which I’m so very grateful for. :relieved:
Also, I want to apologize for the profanity in my original post, I was really having a mental breakdown :laughing:

1 Like

is maybe git a possibility to keep track of changes and recover lost rem?

Nice! Good to know. :+1:

Sure. We’re currently investing along four paths:

1. Building a desktop application that supports local-only knowledge bases and automatic daily backups (currently in beta testing, likely open-testing release next week).
  2. Continuing to focus the development team’s attention on bug fixing.
  3. Continuing to invest in improving our internal testing infrastructure, to prevent regressions and to catch bugs before they go into the wild.
  4. Working on improving our support-handling structures to enable quick support ticket turnarounds.

A leaky knowledge-base is not a useful one, so reliability is a very high priority for us. We’ve made substantial strides here recently (complete backend rebuild that has made the backend very stable, near completion of desktop app, many bugs pinned down), and we’re continuing to invest in making progress.

I and the rest of the team appreciate everyone’s help and understanding as we continue to grow :slight_smile:

Awesome. Glad it was a happy end.

This must have been shocking :dizzy_face: . I am super glad to hear that this post has a happy ending and this shows the marvelous support RemNote has :slightly_smiling_face:

I hope this incident didn’t take too much energy and you could start focusing on learning again.
P.S. I couldn’t stop noticing from your rem that we have the same course :slight_smile: Good luck for the coming exams :smiley:

@Martin if possible would you please look into the possibility of adding some tests to make sure that the SRS algorithm stays intact even when you push new changes? Once such example is the recent issue which many users reported here and in discord - Huge problem in The Remnote algorithm - Thanks for fixing that immediately. If there are some unit tests (or whatever) we can catch all these issues upfront.
As you probably know, there are still some SRS related open issues. I understand that they are not that straightforward to reproduce but not impossible with enough effort. I think if there are some tests for SRS algorithm, those would probably catch these SRS related issues relatively easily.