Keyboard Driven Workflow and Commands

also, shortcut for open setting using ctrl + ,

Love the ideas listed & interested in all
Specifically interested in this portion

Being able to have the cursor move from pane to pane & being able to close the pane would be ideal. Especially if when you are opening/ closing the side pane you do not lose the content within unless you removed it vs starting from scratch (there are work arounds but this would up the game)

Additionally would like some other options on top of the other items already listed :point_down:

• Would love a search portal hotkey vs using the slash command menu. Use very often & would be helpful accessing quickly

• When cursor with mouse hovers over reference (blue text) a pop out preview menu occurs. Would love to be able to scroll down via keyboard & select item. Cannot select via mouse so would love to be able to do with mouse as well

• When cursor enters reference (blue text) a pop out menu occurs. Would like to be able to select items via keyboard or have all items have a hotkey. IE open rem as document vs double click with mouse

• When at the referenced item when using the mouse you can click on the link icon & a pop out menu opens where you can see & select the results or add a search portal with these results. Would like to be able to access same options via keyboard

• Referenced items have it right now where you can view the references from the zoomed out state via Ctl + Alt + Shift + R but need to select with the mouse. would like to be able to select with keyboard

• Currently there are some options to copy a rem as a reference/ tag/ portal. Would be nice if we could could have an option that with one hotkey would copy & paste it into the document vs 2 steps each time

• Expanding on above bullet it would be great that if you had a your second pane open that you could use these same options but have them paste into the second pane without manually going over to the second pane. If doing a lot of research this would save a lot of time vs copying & then jumping to mouse to move cursor then paste. Challenge might be where it pastes so maybe showing up in a dedicated portal & if we have the ability for the cursor to jump to panes we could do so then move item where needed. If we werenā€™t limited to one document in a pane at a time we could have them populate into their own document. Still thinking on this one

There is a hybrid option that I am also interested in that use both the mouse & keyboard at same time

• Right now using the mouse we can click on the bullet point of a rem at the same time use Alt & when we drag & drop it will be pasted as a portal. Would love a similar combination that could drop a rem as a reference or tag as well
2 Likes

Currently there are 2 options with the mouse when you can click the link

• LH click opens pop up to open link. Would like to be able to open link via keyboard vs having to use mouse at same time (Ctl + Click)

• Once pop up window is open RH click allows you to copy link. Would also like to be able to do this via keyboard

• Additionally, would like another keyboard option that would allow us to edit link. I would like to have this option not just for the web links themselves but for the embed links of images, audio, etc where I can edit the link via keyboard. There are various reasons but in my case it would allow a dynamic workflow of accessing content where I can change to an embed to view inline or save screen real estate/ distractions & turn into a link as a reference benchmark. I am sure power users out there would have reasons that would work for them as well :point_down:

There were some discussions in Discord where allowing such a feature is more edge case & would not make it so easy for non tech users. I donā€™t believe it is so much edge case for all users depending on your use case. I understand not having it as a default but just another option in the pop up window

Just like some users would never need to copy the link once it is pasted that option is there for those that need it & can ignore if not needing it. I would like the same option available for those that need it & if you donā€™t need it then it is something you donā€™t need to select

@hannesfrank
I want to make a request for swapping two plane (move the right split to the left)
For a user with two monitors, I put remnote in the right monitor and want to move one of the split in remnote I am currently working on to the left side of my right monitor without turning my neck too hard :rofl:

geez, this thread is all over the place, but Iā€™d like to add one more place where I noticed the keyboard flow being broken:

In the queue, when we hit the card goal for the day, or reach a queue checkpoint. I think hitting enter should be equivalent to clicking the Keep Going button. Currently we have no choice but to use the mouse and click it.

1 Like

There is already a separate feature request for that - Ability to disable checkpoint reminders or skip them using keyboard shortcut

2 Likes

Hi Remnote Team. I would love to have vim key bindings to take it to the next level of note taking experience. I would like to know if there are any plans for it in the near future?

4 Likes

Would love that

Or even on a lower level being able to use a keyboard hotkey for everything you can do with a mouse in RemNote

Would love either or both options

1 Like

YES.

An especially frustrating one is the lack of a ā€œFollow Reference under cursorā€ shortcut.
While editing Iā€™ll sometimes want to peek into a reference to get some context. Having to reach for the mouse for this can really kill the flow.

1 Like

Vote for vim mode.

It will be absolutely game changing if we have vim mode.

we can edit and take notes more efficiently, maybe even jump through the rems!

6 Likes

Made an account solely to offer my full support for this: would be a complete game-changer.
Vim mode would be absolutely incredible, and I know a significant number of people who would switch away from things like workflowy for something like that alone.

1 Like

Will just add that as awesome as a vim-mode or other modal editor would be, the most immediately needed feature in all of remnote is easily a keyboard shortcut for focusing the other pane (i.e. switching between panes w/o using mouse). I can see how the vim-mode will be a large project, but this one feature seems like BY FAR the lowest hanging fruit on the value-added-over-time-committed tree.

4 Likes