Malformed PDF - Sync Issue

I have been receiving this error a TON since using the PDF feature to annotate readings for school. It happens on the machine I did not upload the PDF to and typically requires I force sync the knowledge base on one or both machines to fix. Seems like the sync algorithm could use some adjustments for PDFs.

In this case, after I force synced the machine I did not upload the file on it worked. However, the rest of my materials did sync suggesting that the normal auto-sync just is not catching these PDFs.

@Team could anyone comment on if this is a known bug? I am about to start using this feature heavily in a few weeks so would like to see if there is something on my end I can do to fix it. It is very consistent and the fix every time is to force sync manually to load the PDF. Just quite irritating.

Can you open the pdf on this path?
C:/Users/me/remnote/…

Thanks for the reply @TaQuangKhoi

Here is what I just did:

Two computers, remnote closed on both.

Computer 1:

• Open remnote
  • New rem
  • Add PDF as source
  • Close remnote

Computer 2:

• Open remnote
  • New rem show up
  • PDF Err - Malformed
  • PDF Is not in C:/Users/me/remnote/…
  • Force sync
  • PDF shows up in both remnote and directory
1 Like

On Computer 1: Before you close RemNote, Could you open this pdf on RemNote?

Yes I could

It appears that the sync from client to server is fine but not for server to client. In that case, it is sync’s the rem but not the attachments.

Same problem. Mine returned:

Malformed PDF Unexpected server response (0) while retrieving PDF”

2 Likes

Same here. Incredibly annoying.

2 Likes

This is still an issue. Uploaded PDFs on Laptop, synced laptop with the cloud before opening up on desktop, opened on desktop, synced, error. Force synced, still error.

2 Likes

Same issue. Please fix

3 Likes

I reported this problem to the team and sent out a few emails looking for help weeks ago. The last time the representative replied to me was on December 29th, 2021. Believe it or not. :rofl:

1 Like

Sorry that also happened to you :pensive:

I’m dealing with this same thing (although the force sync doesn’t always seem to solve the problem. I’ve started manually saving the pdf’s to that filepath the desktop app is looking for and, so far, that has done the trick. Certainly a less-than-ideal workflow and I hope they get this resolved soon, but if this bug is a blocker doing this might be a stopgap.

2 Likes

YUp I have the same problem but didn’t know about the force sync function… I will try that next time…
Until now I was doing this workflow to fix the issue for myself:

I actually found a workaround for this issue.
All the files are stored in users//remnote//files All the pdf files here are renamed to some intelligible characters.
So the workaround is that when moving between devices you can copy these files and paste them in the same path in the other device and you are then able to find all the pdfs are synced to remnote.

Same Issue… Uploaded Files on PC 1 (Windows). I can then open them in the remnote browser version on PC 2 (Windows) and PC 3 (Linux) but not in the desktop versions. The files also don’t appear in the local file system and the specified paths. I’m guessing this is also why flashcards on the phone are sometimes broken when they include areas from pdfs.