My Workflows for: Productivity, Studying, Writing

Hey everyone! I’m excited to share a series I put together with detailed workflows of how I study, my productivity system, and how I write all using RemNote.

It currently has 5 videos, but I will continue to add more! The first video is a short intro and at the end you can “pick your own adventure” to explore all the different ways I use RemNote.

START WATCHING BY CLICKING HERE :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to explore your workflows, and we are always looking for ways to make RemNote better for you!

-Mike

7 Likes

Thanks for that. Very useful!

For a minute there I thought you guys were rebranding RemNote to SmartNotes.

1 Like

Any reason you don’t allow using emojis for purposes of templates? Seems like it would fit your personal workflow quite well to use something like %%speaking_head and have it populate telephone numbers and such, rather than ##people, which can well be taken up by textual references from your psychology stuff. Emojis solve that problem by being completely arbitrary rather than going off existing words.

Obviously, the absence of queries is glaring, but why not at least use an expander to populate your daily note?

The essay video seemingly skips the most important step: actually making the notes smart by arranging them in a keynote/entry note, and/or tagging them individually to link to an index, and/or turning them into zettels/evergreen notes. All that is shown in the video is a piddly three sentences manacled to an article. Similarly, outlining the structure before having pulled the notes themselves is a bif iffy - the whole point is to be able to see the structure emerge from the connections between notes, not just pulling a load of notes by tag.

If I may make a general observation, RemNote seems a little too focused on the undergraduate workflow of read textbook, memorise textbook, parrot it back. Obviously, it is nice to make that process as easy as possible, but so far the most active users of zettelkasten seem to be academics and/or content creators (what is called “knowledge workers”, though obviously “ignorance workers” are machines these days anyway), who may be more interested in the linkage side of things (although the lack if aliases at the moment is certainly painful). Here are some thoughts about why that might be the case in a zettelkastenish format. And here’s a vid I encourage you to rip off wholesale.

2 Likes

Love this comment, and this is why I wanted to put my work out in public. Always welcome feedback that will help me improve.

You’re right about that, evergreen notes are most useful when linked to an index or multiple. You can’t have enough links. We also have the filtering system to help us pinpoint keywords from evergreen notes that we forget to link or didn’t think about at the time of their creation. Queries and emojis for templates are definitely features we’re considering building out for future updates.

I love the diversity of our Rem Community: a cross between students, knowledge workers, and content creators. The difficulty is translating the value between the worlds into a single tool and community. Like the majority of our users (students), I still find myself “memorizing facts” and “parroting back” for my line of work (I need to have medical knowledge at the ready to respond to emergencies in the hospital.) But using the linking tools to build a “second brain” or idea factory is something that RemNote can introduce to students who are just beginning to explore the space.

3 Likes

Happy to share, still a work in progress!

Yea smart notes is just a simpler and more convenient umbrella term we can use to describe the combination of bidirectional linking, backlinking, tags, portals, etc

To be clear, I don’t mean to imply that memorization is not necessary, just that it is much more prudent to memorise where and how the fact fits, not just the fact itself. Textbooks are, sadly, yet to adopt a looser approach for a multitude of reasons, but anyone who knows how to use a zettelkasten can. Take your fulcrum example from the video - that is sure to be much more appealing to a student than copypasting a textbook with its table of contents as the organising principle. Here are some slides you may find useful to compare and contrast “regular” approaches to a zettelkasten one. With you being a medic, I’m sure you don’t need to be reminded that practice makes perfect, so the sooner you expose students to this way of organisation, the more time they will have to better it (not to imply anyone can claim perfection at this stage, after all, copying a 50-year old paper system is considered groundbreaking).

1 Like

Yea, I agree this style of organization is so important, especially since it encourages us to understand how facts fit into the bigger picture. We will do our best, thanks for sharing these great links btw!

1 Like