New Power-up: Archive

Folders and documents in RemNote can use power-ups (ie. tags that apply special effects) like ‘Automatically Sort’, to augment their contained Rem. I propose a new power-up: ‘Archive’.

Power-up: Archive

When a document or folder is powered up with Archive, it would exile all of its Rem from the database, including documents, concepts and flashcards. Rem would disappear from the queue, portals wouldn’t retrieve them, references wouldn’t navigate to them, and search results would not contain them. This would allow for:

• Students to bulk pause their flashcards
  • Users to distinguish between active/inactive projects and dated material, as per PARA

…all the while preserving the notes in their original form, ready to return on your call.

Q: Is this concept of archiving useful for many people? If it is, what are the current workarounds?

While the current menu-bar power-up allows for three sections in your menu-bar - Pinned, Draft, Finished - they cannot themselves be powered-up. If they could, ‘Archive’ could be one such status.

I like the idea. But to be honest, if we had a good way of moving content between knowledgebases (like a robust export of parts of a KB), I would be happy with the simpler solution of moving these things to a different KB.

2 Likes

Released just one day after this post, the March 23th update of RemNote 1.3 has introduced a power-up for folders to suspend all the contained flashcards.

Fig. 1: RemNote 1.3 release with new folder power-up for suspending flashcards

Also within the release is more granular control for shifting Rem in and out of RemNote, which may please @helado and provides a workaround for those wishing to archive certain portions of their database. Quote:

“Added document/Folder-level JSON export & import.” (RemNote 1.3, Bug Fixes)

These two new additions leave only exiling Rem from search results missing from this Power-Up: Archive idea. However, as Helado suggests, most people may be satisfied with the ability to export certain portions of their database, even if those Rem can’t be edited in the interim. Personally, then, this seems like a solid compromise.

1 Like

Yes, I am sorta happy with the new ability to export a single document. Now, it seems when importing you get duplicates of everything, right? I wish there was an option to merge, replace, or something. Manual merge is fine (much better than risking doing the wrong thing).

1 Like

@Mr_Winawer on Discord reminded that Rem can be made /private, which removes them from search results, as well as hides them visually. Exports aren’t affected, though, and there isn’t a fool proof way to track the private Rem.

4 Likes

Put another way, this power-up would exile all child Rem from the omnibar, such that they are not only absent from the queue but disappear from search results too.

So the ‘Archive’ Power-up:

• Suspends all flashcards
  • Makes all Rem unsearchable

You could then easily toggle portions of your knowledge base on/off, to e.g., prevent low-quality daily notes information from clogging up search results, so that what you are yesterday doesn’t intersect with your studious markings on similarly worded course material.

This capability would increase RemNote’s feasibility as a single note-taking tool. Does anybody have experience of encountering (and combating) noise in Roam Research?

It isn’t clear, however, whether Rem that have been “archived” should appear in reference and tag portals. Perhaps, there could be an option to display them, with a secondary option to choose whether to display them with other references and tags, or as a separate grouping.

3 Likes

Hi,

It would be great if there was a way to disable a document and associated rem to show up in the search feature. This would allow me to more effectively search my library as some old notes are not necessary anymore.

Regards

2 Likes

true, it may be able to clean up the noise while still having the notes somewhat accessible when searching the archive tag

3 Likes