Option to display links associated with rem in queue

In the queue, when the answer is shown, any links associated with that rem should be displayed. Displaying the links will remind the user of connections to related rem and is in the spirit of the zettelkasten. Since making the connection to other rem via linking involves considerable effort, displaying the associations in the queue will have made those efforts more worthwhile.

(@Karthikk, this is a feature request brought up during the community call)

If the connections are to other rem that were made at a similar time, is there not a danger of “spoiling” upcoming cards? This feels like an option rather than the desired default.

I see what you are saying. The downside to the feature is a possibility of spoiling an upcoming card, while the upside is being reminded of a relationship. In practice I feel this would be a good trade off because I’ll likely treat the “links associated” in the same way I treat the “extra card detail” power-up. Most of the time I ignore extra card detail, but on cards where I would like greater clarification I take a glance at the extra detail and am grateful for it.

Sure, but since the references are more likely to be in other Concept rem, there would need to be some way to control this behaviour beyond just averting your eyes to avoid false positive answers (the user didn’t actually recall the answer, but just saw it out of the corner of their eye on a previous card). Perhaps an extra toggle in the queue window or a special tag that has to be applied to the rem itself. If you agree, would you mind rephrasing the title of your request from “should display” to something more optional-sounding?

Tittle changed. I agree with you. Showing links in the queue should be optional to not give away upcoming cards. However, the solution to this problem of spoiling upcoming cards would be to schedule linked cards for the next day. Anki does something similar to this in their “bury sibling card” feature. I also want to make the point that I imagine a lot of people will never go into the rem page after it is made, so the only opportunity to see connections between information will be in the queue.

1 Like