Remnote for Biochemistry

Hi all, new user here. Apologies in advance for the long post.

I’m hoping someone can help with a question I have and offer any suggestions.

I’m beginning to study Biochemistry and use terms like enzymes a lot. When revising, for example, I’d like to see the definition of Enzyme in later classes, but this is where I’m having the issue. I’ve been able to create a portal for the definition, but when revising I’m not sure how to check the definition back to the original document. I’ve attached some screenshots from different class sessions that I hope may explain this better.

So for example, in this document, I’ve defined what an Enzyme is and created a portal (also, is there a way of showing it by hovering over the portal rather than right-clicking?)

In a document from a later class, I’m reviewing my notes, and I’d like to see the definition of an Enzyme. Can someone tell me how to do this, please?

In addition, can those of you who use Remnote for study give any suggestions on how to improve my notes? I’m aware of Concept/Descriptor but just can’t get my head around using it.

Thanks in advance for any help, hopefully, I can pay it back in time.

I’m assuming you wrote “portal” when you meant “reference”. To make preview activate on hover rather than right-click, open settings and search for “hover”.

To your other question, seems like you went wrong somewhere, creating an unnecessary duplicate. See image for what the reference/portal/card behaviour is broadly.

Thanks for the response, but unfortunately it doesn’t answer my question on how to do what I want it to do.

hello there,

When you write something >> the definition of something, you’ve successfully create a bond between something and its definition.
After that, you have multiple options to make use of this:

1. you write some text somewhere else in your knowledge database… and want to use the word something, because its makes sense in natural language. For exemple you might want to say : The hypotheses behind something are ... Then instead, you write [[something]] (with added barckets). By doing that you’ve sucessfully created a bidrectional reference (not a portal). When you hover your mouse over this blue link, its definition will appear

2. Alternatively, when you need the definition to always be present, you can create a portal to this, by writing ((something)) : this will insert a mirror copy of the original definition you’ve created somewhere else

3. if you just need a quick refresh : CTRL+P a popup appears, then search there for something, the definition will appear. You can then shift+click on it to open it in another panel, leaving the content you’re working on available.

I would advice to take your time with remnote, and redo the training, tours, and videos :wink:
cheers

@_yb thank you so much for taking the time to explain this, I really appreciate your help