RemNote Roadmap

Roadmap

There’s a lot that we’re building. Here’s a snapshot of some of our currently active projects:

Short-term

• Dark mode
  • iPhone App and improved mobile experience
  • Continued improved polish, stability, and bug fixing
  • Extensibility platform and stable CSS themes
  • Expanded keyboard-driven workflows
  • Card groups / clusters

Medium-term

• Real-time collaboration
  • Tables & other modalities
  • Queries

Long-term

• Read more about The Next Chapter of RemNote

Completed

See our :sparkles: Update Blog

4 Likes

Source on RemNote Help: :world_map: Roadmap

2 Likes

Thanks!

What does short, medium and long term mean, in terms of weeks/months/years?

Ballpark is fine.

HI @ognsya
I’m not in the RemNote Team so I can’t say that.
This thread is just for easy access to Roadmap.
My ballpark estimate is “Soon” :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Short-term: Stuff we are currently working on. Weeks to months.
Medium-term: Stuff we’ll do after we finish the short-term stuff, if nothing more important comes up. More than weeks, less than (multiple) years.
Long-term: General vision we are working towards. Long-term plans can change.

5 Likes

so are the short-term ones gonna drop today? :smile:

1 Like

It will be nice if the update blog is updated. The last update is about 1.4.8. I initially thought it’s the new update, but nope since the app is at 1.4.10 now.

1 Like

Might also be helpful to have some clarity on the update schedule/nomenclature. I assume “little” updates are happening all the time and don’t deserve an explicit changelog every time, but it would be nice to have at least a vague monthly summary, especially if “big” updates a la 1.4 will only happen a few times per year. Some apps also provide plain language names for their updates, either descriptive (so 1.4 would be “The UI Redesign”, I suppose) or just snappy (from alphabetised candy names, as Android used to do, to surnames of famous people, as Memex did), which might be a good tool to definitively identify a big update and easily refer to it.

2 Likes
  • Currently Martin makes the changelogs doing some unknown magic (he probably just has a very good memory or reads the commit history :thinking:) - if he has time.
  • I’m a huge fan of changelogs too and I’m going to take more/all responsibility that they will be frequent and comprehensive in the future. I’ve discussed workflows with the team that will allow us to capture even small fixes without much overhead.
  • The version numbers major.minor.patch are mostly semantic.
    • We probably will not increase major for quite some time to not scare LLLs, even though I’d not formally call that RemNote 2.0 then.
    • minor versions will be incremented when major features arrive. We considered naming them after a milestone like “Redesign Update”, “Dark Mode”, “iOS”, … There are multiple features worked on in parallel by different engineers so it might not be possible to have regular intervals for them. But I expect it to be ~1-2 month on average, depending on what you classify as large feature.
    • patch numbers increase with each bugfix update. Small enhancements also fall into this category. Not sure how many we’ll do here exactly. We are pushing for CI/CD so approx one every few days, and more frequent on the beta server.
4 Likes

Thank you for clarifying that.

1 Like