Roam import feature doesn't work

Recently, I recommended RemNote to a friend of mine. He has been using Roam Research for about 6 months and has about 10.000 pages there. At a high amount of data, the Roam import tool doesn’t work correctly.

(1) Daily notes are not imported correctly. The Daily notes are empty and most references are missing

(2) In Roam, [[bi-directional links]] and #tags are the same - the pages that have been created as a tag, are imported into RemNote as “Untitled” Documents. Those untitled pages are tagged with “orphan”.

(3) Many references are missing - it seems like the whole hierarchy is not correctly adopted.

(4) There are more bugs - most of them are hard to define. Eventually, an imported database creates complete confusion.

Please note that the following is just feedback that aims to improve RemNote, to gain more users and help more students to have a better experience with RemNote

All in all, I think the import tool for Roam Research doesn’t really work at all for “bigger imports”. My friend is really excited of RemNote, yet switching from Roam to RemNote creates tremendous friction for him. Removing this friction would surely help to make RemNote much more attractive to Roam users who want to transition to RemNote.

Here are some “bug pictures”:

I’ve got the same problem. I’ve been using Roam Research for about 10 months but then decided to go all in with RemNote and I bought the 5 year license.

Problem is I can’t import my Roam data… so I have to keep paying for Roam on a monthly basis even though I have a “Life Long Learner” license for Rem Note.

Given I “priority” support comes with that license, can I have some help please?

Thanks so much

4 Likes

I’m in the same boat. I’ve poured a lot of time in Roam and would love to jump over to RemNote but the Roam importer needs a lot of work.

I have so many duplicates that it’s impossible to go in and manually fix. I don’t even know how I would if I wanted to. I’ve emailed them, but so far with no response.

I don’t want to start over from scratch on RemNote. I hope they find a way to fix the importer.

1 Like