Search Box/ Search Enhancements

Search (mostly small usability enhancements)

• A search box always at the top with two “magnifying glass” buttons: one to search all of RemNote and one the search only within the current rem. This would save me lots of clicks – I end up using my browser “find in page” button a lot when I know the rem I want is somewhere in the current document! I don’t use RemNote search in this case, because then my view will be cluttered by many other hits. I also don’t use RemNote’s “Find text references in document” because this just proliferates search portals at the bottom of the document.

• In the search preview, it would be nice to be able to be able to click EITHER a level in the context or the rem itself (to open up only that rem in it’s own window). I ask this because I may, for example, be searching for “Ceidric,” who is a child in my “people” folder, but when I click on his name, RemNote jumps to the People folder and I have to scroll and visually hunt around for "Ceidric then (second step) open up that rem to just see info. about him (which means “search” is not a way to quickly jump to Ceidric).

• As in the last example, it would be nice if the search target were temporarily highlighted to be able to see it quickly. “Ceidric” is nicely highlighted in search preview, but once I click my choice then it is time-consuming to find “Ceidric” in the document (somewhere).

You may use ctrl+(shift)+p as normal, then type the name of your document, then tab, then the rem you want (this is called hierarchical search in the docs). It should scroll to it. Perhaps the functionality you want could be added as a toggle to replace the existing portal search box in the lower left.

Yes, Search is one of the most important features of a note-taking app. It should be as flexible and powerful as possible. I also find myself not using the Ctrl+F search too often and would love to have easier access to the browser search (or a simple full text search), e.g. by pressing Ctrl+F twice.

When you search and select a rem it traverses the hierarchy up until it finds a document and opens this, possibly even traversion.

So a workaround in your case would be to make “Ceidric” a document and it would open it directly. (It would also show up in the document list and more likely as a node in a graph view as opposed to a plain rem.)

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out that RemNote search is “search for a document” – I missed that somehow. Also a good suggestion to make entries like “Ceidric” into documents. I have been deliberately minimizing the number of “documents” because I frequently use the sidebar for navigation to current projects and want to keep the clutter down (would be nice to be able to filter the sidebar with a tag called ##pinned). “Document” in my mind remains one of the most awkward terms in RemNote, with functionality that I’d like to dis-aggregate (sidebar presentation control, source container, and now search organizer).

I’ve considered adding browser search to my autohotkey file, but of course that wouldn’t help me in the RemNote standalone app. RemNote Filter and Chrome Find conflict.

1 Like

I did not tag much as document in the beginning as well, more for aestetics reasons, but you can hide the document icon with CSS (Is there a way to hide the document icon from the references?).

Now I use it for everything that makes sense to be listed in the document table.

A few more tips you might already know:

• Documents have a status: Draft, Pinned and Finished.
  • These three states form the default sidebar categories.
  • You can rename these to something like Documents, Important and Archive as well.
  • You can further customize the sidebar in the Document Sidebar power up by adding more search portals. You can filter for any tag you want, e.g. make a People section in the sidebar.

Yes thanks, that’s a good solution, esp. when I’ve got a unique document name that doesn’t require many presses of the arrow keys to get through the hierarchy.

Linking here a feature request which is related to this one:

It’s too bad so few people vote in this forum :confused: