Setup 1.5.3 runs program but doesn't install on Windows

I have downloaded and run RemNote Setup 1.5.3 from the website several times, but the program will not install on Windows 10.
The Setup.exe just seems to run RemNote, but there are no shortcuts in the program or tiles screens. There is no RemNote folder in either Program Files folder.
(I did have the Windows Defender alerts appear, but they no longer seem to be an issue.)
Running as Administrator makes no difference.
I have searched here, google, and reddit, but no one else seems to have this problem.
Can someone assist with what I’m missing?
Is this it? Did the latest update just remove the option to install RemNote and you just need to keep the Setup.exe in your downloads forever?

Open Task Manager with Ctrl + Shift + Esc. Find RemNote then Right click and choose Open file location

In my situation, folder of RemNote will be stored in
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Programs\RemNote

1 Like

Thank you for replying. This has helped.
But do you know why this has changed? Why won’t the setup exe install to Programs so that the shortcuts in the programs menu works?
Thanks again.

1 Like

I don’t know the reason… :thinking:
Your RemNote does not be installed in C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Programs\ folder?

The program is installed there (under Users\…\AppData\…), but again, any reason why it is there and not under C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files?

1 Like

You can read more about the benefits here: installation - Why programs nowadays install itself into AppData/Local in Windows? - Super User

Thank you for that link.
I guess I would still like to hear from the developers about this.
“Avoiding Windows security” is ethically ambiguous at best.
I would still prefer an option to install with Administrator’s rights so that installs to the Program folder which sets up the shortcut icons correctly.

1 Like