Severe issue in the desktop version "still saving"

Hello remNote

Yesterday 04/14/21, I had an issue in the desktop version. I wanted to close Remnote but it said “still saving”. I tried to do many stuffs to solve it but, in the end, I had to close it by force therefore I lost information. Today 05/14/21 was the same. I lost information again and it was unpleasant for my work. I’d appreciate to the RemNote’s team could fix this harmful bug.

Capture123123

I wait your answer. Thanks.

Odd
I have had this issue but when I forced it to shut down I didn’t lose anything

I did lose content a few months ago so I understand the frustration though the team is aware of my occurrence
Please check your trash to make sure it did not end up in there

CC: @Karthikk

2 Likes

Thanks for the ping! We will take note of this and get back asap!
Sorry about the inconvenience.

4 Likes

Having this issue, as well as Undo not working (opened a github issue)
Really hard to work in the Windows desktop app with this, would love a fix for this ASAP, Thanks!

1 Like

Updating - this didn’t repro for me a while and now has again. Notes to investigate:

1. Might be related to having Multiple panes open (even after closing one of them)

2. Might be related to another problem I experience once in a while where I have undeletable Rems, (Trying to delete them will make RemNote freeze, if killing process and reopening, they will still be there.
    The only pattern I’ve noticed with the undeletable Rems are that they’re either Recursively nested, or (in this case) have the same name / partial content as another, unrelated Rem that was moved to be it’s sibling.

3. I got into a loop where no matter how many times I closed/opened RemNote (even restarted my comp once) the “Still saving” bug would repro, so maybe its a “state-on-disk / temp storage” error rather than “something-went-wrong-at-runtime” error?

4. While the “Still saving” bug + undeletable Rem issues were going on, one (of the many) times I tried to close remnote without task manager - My entire system crashed with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION stopcode on WdFilter.sys

After the BSOD I could close Remnote properly, but trying to delete that Rem cause the issue to Repro.
I cannot delete the rem in the web interface either.

This makes RemNote completely unusable. Please fix ASAP!

1 Like

@Martin please refer to these notes above for the freezing issue.

I have the some issue, i was freak out

For me this hasn’t repro’d for probably about a month now. :+1:
To clarify - I do sometimes see 2 “Still saving” messages on exit, but they don’t hang the application / prevent me from saving my notes.
I also haven’t seen any undeletable Rems since I last noted.

But it seems @Cong had this issue, perhaps an older version/web?

Seems fixed on Desktop app 1.3.15

1 Like

Same issue.

It’s been like this for several minutes. Already closed and reopen, same thing, I hope I didn’t loose anything.

I use local kb and have quite alot of notes.

same here. “saving to disk. please pause editing…” + my fan goes crazy on macbook pro. before I couldn’t access data at all (2 hrs ago) then I can access some data again then again it says “Something went wrong”. Also using local. message still there and fan still high. only force quit brings fan down.

did the force quit and restart solve the issue? Or did the message keep popping up again?

Yes problem still there. The “Saving to disk. Please pause editing until this message disappears. “Save to disk.”” message pops up and stays there and fan gets increasingly louder. All my Main Rems I can still see but all sub rems are gone. Macbook Pro Desktop Version local save.

Update 1: If I wait for very long (like 20min) a lot of information slowly comes back. But still the fan problem and the “Saving” message.

Update 2: Another 10 min in it stopped, everything back to normal. I deleted some data on my hard drive in the meantime as I was running low on HDD space (about 20GB free, now more than 30GB). Maybe that had something to do with it.

Update 3: Working one day successful in remnote. Then shut down computer. Opened Remnote same issue again. Described like above: Saving message + fan goes up + Also shows:

“# Something went wrong.
Please try refreshing the page. If the problem remains, please provide additional detail on the help page. *TypeError: Cannot read property ‘type’ of undefined.*xxxxx”

This time only took 3 minutes then everything is fine. Fan goes down. All data back and can work in all my data.

1 Like

Will have this reported, thanks!

Hi!

I’m having the exact same issue as abox

When the fan goes crazy, the task manager shows 3 remnote processes using about 50% CPU and writing to the disk at 40 MB/sec.

I currently can’t work with RemNote, because either the documents are not shown, or I get the database error, or it’s just so slow it’s impossible.

Yesterday it was working fine, now it is not.

I use an offline database

1 Like

Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, importing DB online, nothing works.

I can work online after importing, but images are missing.

This stays forever:

1 Like

This is how the task manager looks like:

1 Like

Same issues. This is a mess. I give up.

Normal! I decided not to be sad about various bugs in the desktop version. I hear promises, I see programs going through RemNote… I’m thinking of trying the Obsidian. Tired of waiting months and more months and no simple bug is solved, has no innovations. Consequence of this is the community without subject, without incentive to innovate. What do I hear? New team… Testing… Coming soon… And nothing. I’m here complaining because I love RemNote. If you didn’t like it, you wouldn’t even give me the trouble to write.

1 Like

Same problem here, in Mac osx 11.6 with mbp m1, RemNote 1.4.10