Show number of Rem in multi line cards (Queue)

An option to automatically see how many Rem are nested under a multi line card in the Queue would be very useful. At the moment, I have to add this number to each multi line card I make manually.

I assume that the number of hidden lines when the rem is collapsed does not work for you?
You want it to be shown at all times, right? But similar to the number of hidden children.

Just wondering, what is your use case? Which kind of rems do you need counted?

What is the max number of rem you need to count?

Sorry, maybe the wording in my original post was confusing - I only want to see the number of nested Rems when practicing a multi line card in the Queue, not in the Editor. I have hundreds of multi line cards listing, for example, several clinical signs of a disease. When such a card appears in the queue, I have to recall those signs in my mind before revealing the back side of the card - this is very difficult unless you know the exact number of signs you are supposed to recall. So, every time I create a multi line card I have to list the number of nested Rem manually as such:

Clinical signs of anemia (4):::

• Fatigue
  • Dyspnea
  • Pallor
  • Palpitations
4 Likes

Ah, thanks for the clarification!. Sorry, I must have skipped over it reading you request.

1 Like

I personally wouldn’t like that. I should know the number of multilines under a concept or question by memory because the exam won’t tell me that

I understand the sentiment - that’s why I think it should only be an option you can turn on in the settings.

In an ideal world, you would naturally recall the number of answers from your head. However, this is difficult and inefficient when you have a substantial amount of multi line cards which is unavoidable in subjects like medicine. The mental process behind answering a multi line card involves recalling the answers one by one in your mind until you’ve come up with all of them. But if you don’t know the amount of answers you are supposed to recall, you will spend a significant amount of time evaluating whether you’ve recalled all the answers you are supposed to or not. I’ve spent several thousand hours in Anki just going through cards (a lot of them multi line), so you can imagine how every % of efficiency matters in the long run. I’ve noticed that all my friends with significant SRS experience and basically all the popular public Anki decks also tend to state the number of answers on the front side of their cards for this reason. Nevertheless, this is a great point to have a discussion about!

Disagree on it being difficult and inefficient, it’s just one number you gotta remember and it’s a crucial number too. Let’s say the exam tells you to explain a concept, you see the name of it and then you remember “oh, 6 multilines and they are a, b, c, d, e and f” If you don’t actively recall that they are 6 in total while studying, you likely won’t remember on the exam and for example only mention 4 bullet points. In the end, active recall is the most efficient way of studying and by already seeing the number of multilines on the front side of a rem, there’s less active recall involved

2 Likes