The new hierarchical document pin feature - why is it good?

I think this is a great feature and I want to share why

So when we create a new rem reference through [[, it ends up as a top level rem right ? Instead if we wanted to create it somewhere else, we could then use the hierarchical search to get to the location and then click CMD + Enter to create a new rem there, let’s say we wanted to save this location for all the rems that we are going to create for sometime continuously, we can now just pin that location so that any new rem references will automatically be created there.

Use case :

• I am taking notes from a lecture and it is introducing me to a lot of new clinical features in medicine that i want to create references for.
  • I already have a rem called “Clinical Features” where I am saving the entire collection of clinical features, so it makes more sense for me to create the rem there directly rather than creating it as a top level rem and then move it there later. I have often found this cumbersome.
  • Then it was possible to directly create this new rem into the location that we wish by means of the “hierarchical search” by using CMD + Enter, instead of just enter.
  • The problem was that we had to manually keep travelling to that location in order to create it and that was time taking as well.
  • Now that we can pin the location, all the new rems we create that way will directly be inserted to the pinned location as long as it is pinned.
  • So if i create a lot of clinical featrues, i can pin it under that clinical features rem and then happily create away and everything would have ended up exactly where i would want them to be.
3 Likes

It may be easier to pin your lecture notes doc, create everything there (so you have a dump of stubs from a single session in one place rather than crowding the top level), then send wherever it needs to go rather than pinning another single rem - that’s what the second pane is for.

1 Like

I agree, but if i am going to create rems in bulk, that would all probably go to a single place, this is very handy for me to do so !

Also, doing this doesn’t crowd the top level, as it is placed inside another rem.