Using espanso (a text expander) to automate writing LaTeX

Reply to: Support for custom LaTeX macros

You can use a third-party text expander to insert LaTeX macros minimizing the typing effort.
The cross platform espanso for example supports forms to even fill in the arguments of a latex macro.

Here is a sample config for espanso. Note the backend: Clipboard is only needed if you want to paste a complete latex environment directly (like $x$):

backend: Clipboard
matches:
  - trigger: "\\pd "
    form: \frac{\partial {{num}}}{\partial {{denum}}}
  - trigger: "\\pdc "
    form: \left(\frac{\partial {{num}}}{\partial {{denum}}}\right)_{{index}}
  - trigger: ":x "
    replace: "$x$"

Now you just type \pd<space> in RemNote’s LaTeX Editor. It shows a form window to enter the arguments. Tab trough the inputs and submit with Ctrl + Enter.

You now have a beautiful formula without much typing effort:

You can also insert complete LaTeX variables/formulas directly without having to open invoke the LaTeX Editor by wrapping the macro in single $ for inline and $$ for full width LaTeX and use it in RemNote’s normal editor.

To quicky add more macros while live-texing a lecture have a text editor with the expanso config open and add them there of course using another macro:

- trigger: ":macro"
    form: |
      - trigger: "{{trigger}}"
          replace: "{{replace}}"

Saving the config automatically reloads espanso making the new macro available for typing in RemNote.

Note that you can also use this to paste styling tags (kanban, table, …): Copy the tag in RemNote with Ctrl + Alt + S and paste it into the replace part.

10 Likes

Thank you for mentioning this @Hannes! I’m trying to make this work, but I’m not sure how to open up what is called a modulo or form (I think). I’m not sure how to get the software needed to type the “triggers” and “replace.” Would you happen to know? (I’m on Windows btw)

1 Like

After you installed espanso you should be able to type :espanso anywhere to confirm it’s working. After that you follow the Getting Started guide.

Basically you can add your expansions/macros to espanso’s config file which is stored in C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\AppData\Roaming\espanso\default.yml on windows. Open it in any text editor (VS Code, Sublime Text, …, notepad) to edit. You can also run espanso edit in PowerShell (that’s the built-in windows terminal, just search for that in the start menu) which opens the config in notepad.

2 Likes

That helps a lot! Thank you so much as always @hannesfrank!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this! Help me a lot. I have readed your other articles,and I like your workflow style.

2 Likes

Hi! @hannesfrank .I met a trouble and I couldn’t fix in espanso.Could you help me? My filter_exec and filter_class options don’t work.My configuration file is below.