Very slow loading of a document

I am facing issue of slow loading in remote. A particular page takes around 10-15 seconds to load in the remnote. Please resolve this issue

experiencing the same issue. After the restart of my app, my documents are not loading and showing an error in the PC app. But when I am accessing it through my browser it’s working fine.

@ravi.pawar this definitely shouldn’t be the case as due to our recent backend works, the app should be very responsive.

Could you provide more details, so that we can try and reproduce this sluggishness.

it was way too slow so i deleted all rems to avoid that sluggishness… Sorry could not provide the details… i think the data could be extracted at your end itself for the documents in which I was facing issue. please provide me ways to provide more details on this… but really that document loading was way too slow… it almost used to take 10-12 seconds for that document to load…

Can you tell me how big that document was? How many rems, how many images etc.,? An approx should be fine.

Are you facing this sluggishness in any of the other docs?

i found the backup of that doc… should I share the doc here or mail the team?

Mailing the support team should be better, kindly share a link to this thread for more context

slow remnote loading doc
please check this document. This loads slower even when there are not lot of rems in it.

1. Which platform is this on?
  2. Can you check if there is anything that’s overloading your CPU?
  3. Are you facing this sluggishness on the webapp?

Platform- Windows 10
Cpu overloading- no such overloading. I have 12 gb ram installed on my laptop. Max resource utilization during remnote working is 40% for all processes of laptop.
Issue faced in webapp?-yes

In your gif all rems are expanded which is probably why you‘re experiencing such long loading times. Collapsing or hiding all the rems in that document should speed up the loading time by a lot.

This I assume is the temporary solution for this issue. This issue should not be there whether rems are expanded or not. I earlier put my most of study notes in remnote but this issue has made me to give a second thought on doing this. As this issue is present since long time here and this should be addressed on priority. Editor is the crucial block of remnote and it should be fast and easily accessible like roam/obsidian.

1 Like

I get that such long loading times are undesired however it‘s to be expected that it simply takes longer to load when your document has lots of rem on screen. The team of course could work on optimising the performance for everything to load faster but then again your document will still take longer to load when so many rem are expanded. So if loading time is important, try to only have on screen what you are currently working on.

I can’t really tell by the gif how many rem are on screen in your document so maybe the loading time on your side is really surprisingly slow compared to the amount of rem. For comparison I have a parent rem with 434 rem under it and expanding that parent rem takes around 2 seconds. This is on an iPad Pro 12.9 4th gen. Not really fast but I mostly don’t need to have all these rem on screen, unless I want to make bigger changes to a document.

I completely agree, we do face sluggishness but it is definitely not around a document of this size. This is certainly an account specific issue.
If the document doesn’t have any sensitive information could you please share it with me personally so that I can try and replicate the issue?

I definitely agree that there is some sluggishness when I try to open large documents fully in a single action.

In my case this occurs for themes which I am working on. You must be knowing how big my Solarized dark theme document is. I have 4 or 5 big documents for themes like that. If I try to open it all together, there is definitely a noticeable lag. But I don’t think any other apps can do better for such large documents. I haven’t used roam or obsidian with the such big documents. So I don’t know correctly. I might be wrong. I will copy paste my theme document into obsidian and check today when I am back at home.

You may ask why am I opening the theme document fully. Actually I never open it fully except at the time of sharing. Most of the time I just bullet hover search to find the rems I need. Practically speaking we never should open large documents all together. Because it won’t be of much use. Any ways you have to scroll to read it fully. So it better to open just the child rems which we are working at a particular time.

Daily documents and saved tweets are the other two documents which are slow to load in my case.

For daily documents, I think if there is an in built sorting by months and years, this can be avoided. I do it manually now.

So in short, there can be some improvements possible but I don’t think I am worried about it now. Actually I am happy that i haven’t experienced any problem like data loss inspite of working on large documents like my theme documents.

1 Like

Yes my document size is not that big and still I am facing this issue. As of now while doing troubleshooting myself I deleted all the rems again. This is being done second time in two months. Now I have started taking notes afresh. Will see if this issue comes again. And if this happens will definitely share the file here.
I think this issue along with a separate issue (created thread for not working of ##extra tag) is perhaps account specific.
But please get these two issues resolved.

Another reason a document might be loading slow is if it has many backlinks. I have one with ~40 references/tags and very few visible rem and it takes ~1s to load. Can someone confirm that on their slow documents?

A fix would be to asynchronously load the backlink section (in a web worker).

It does look account specific, in which case would you be kind enough to dump this specific KB and start a new one?
There are a few options here:

1. If there’s nothing important in it, best would be to delete the entire KB through account settings and then start a new one.
  2. If there are very specific important docs, maybe selectively try exporting them and follow the same account deletion process and then import them back.
  3. If there are quite a lot of important docs, make a full JSON export and do the same.

I am afraid, if you just delete the specific rems, and move on, this issue might repeat itself just like how it did in the past.

This time it was deleted second time… I mean whole KB deleted two times till now. But both issue persists.
As of now slow loading is there but not much but extra detail feature is still amiss.
Slow loading issue will agravate when I crosses 80-100 rems.

Have you tried to use another account? That might help us with figuring out whether this is account specific.