What is the difference between Draft and Final?

Hi I’m. New user and have a heap of “draft” rem … what’s the difference between draft and final?

sorry for the late reply. The Draft toggle will display all documents that you have not categorized into any folder, so all documents, until specified will show here. If you click the documents button in the sidebar, you can select which documents are “pinned” or “finished” and it will move them to the appropriate toggle. It’s really for organizational purposes at this point

Note the names of “draft, pinned, finished” can be renamed by using the power up “document sidebar”

Hi @mattygrov. This is helpful, but I still suspect that I’m not using RemNote entirely as designed.

I’ve been using the sidebar folders pretty much solely for navigation purposes. That is, I often begin with a sidebar folder click on my way into working on neatly hierarchical information within a category, {such as a study project I’m working on}.

However, the “pinned” and “finished” parts of the sidebar suggest a different kind of use (in my use, “draft” is also irrelevant – it just means “user folders and documents” as opposed to other parts of the sidebar). It would be very helpful for me so see a real-life workflow which uses these parts of the sidebar, as I’m not seeing any part of my workflow which would use them.

For example, if I wanted to highlight rem as “pinned” in my sidebar, an easier solution would be to make a top level rem call PINNED and tag various items ##PINNED. Similarly with FINISHED, since any use of the sidebar “pinned” or “finished” sections would require that I “orphan” a rem by moving it out of it’s normal place in my folder hierarchies.

I suggested to Martin some time ago that he do away with calling some rem “documents” and instead call them “pinned to sidebar” because I do see utility in making some rem visible in the sidebar as this aids in reducing sidebar clutter and navigating to my high priority or open-project rem.

I’m further confused in that only document rem can have a source. This suggests to me a workflow of stand-alone rem moving from draft version to final version, but RemNote does not seem particularly optimized for document management of this sort (my final papers require more polish and/or collaboration, so I have to move my final writing to MS Word or CorelDraw or something). What is the intended connection between “source” and “sidebar”? For me it has just been a confusion in which I’ve inadvertently lost information, not realizing that removing rem from cluttering my sidebar also meant I deleted the source link. I am actually careful to not use “source” to avoid inadvertent data loss.

Your comments earlier in the post about changing up the sidebar are very helpful, but after experimenting I’m finding not much flexibility in the sidebar. I can rename them, but “pinned” and “finished” are hard-coded into relationship with documents/sources. The sidebar could be a user-customizable way to arrange key functions and content for easy navigation (which I would love), but as it is currently set up, as I mentioned at the beginning, I am just not sure what parts of the sidebar are for or if I’m missing out on something that could help me. What makes a rem “finished” to you?

Thanks for all your work and promotion of RemNote, btw, this has become a vital tool for me!

@Tim_Webster You may be interested in this topic as well. Finished and Draft needed? This subforum is more for answerable questions rather than discussions.