Who still do prefer to work on Workflowy and why?

I’m a Pro Remnote user and started almost from the earlier days.
I came from Workflowy as Remnote was also an outliner tool.
Sometimes I still like to play with Workflowy as it’s a very simple and still powerful tool.
I’m wondering if is there users here that still use Workflowy and why.

I do. In Remnote I miss:

• the ability to do proper search ie having a default AND operator between words (not OR) or advanced search
  • the ability to manage properly my tasks (mainly linked to the first point, because you cannot query properly)
  • the mirrors of Workflowy. Portals are slightly different because there is a source and a copy so you have to think where to place each one and sometimes there is no proper answer (ex: task in daily log and in project management page).
1 Like

In RN I miss the speed of the UI, the mobile app and the fast all-in search results, as everything stays under the same tree.

I’d be interested in hearing/seeing more about your use of Workflowy. I went to a journalism talk yesterday and everybody there seemed to use Workflowy as a matter of course. I was intrigued but am liking Remnote and see some overlap.

The thing I don’t prefer about Workflowy is that the local files I drag are uploaded to the Cloud. I do something similar to Workflowy and Hook what I call a “project pile of files and links” in Apple Pages, of all things, because I can control how much space each project takes up. I thought Kanban could help there in RN, but the older Kanban css is broken for me and I never got a reply about that.

I don’t feel like taking time to black-out my notes, so here’s a teenie screencap that’s illegible but gives the idea:

Problems with my Pages-“project pile”:

• it’s not time-aware, programmable, or auto-linked.

Problems with Workflowy and RN:

• all the links have to be uploaded to the Cloud, or I have to use (buy for $40) Hook to get a RN-digestible local URL/URI
  • In RN (not Workflowy) without Kanban things aren’t compact enough for me. I want a dashboard of my current projects. A linear list is too much wasted space for just links

Things I like about my Pages “project pile” or “Workflows”:

• I can rearrange and resize, and recolor
  • local links are just dragged in so I don’t have a Cloud version of a file and a local version, which will de-sync after a day’s work.

The most beautiful software of all is Tree (or TopofTree) but the developer stopped developing. Too bad, that app is lighting fast and can take local URIs. It’s the only app I’ve seen that makes me want to learn how to make apps so I can replicate his gorgeous work and extend it with the things I need. There’s Dashword, but I don’t have Mac 10.14 yet.

Workflowy points of advantage (feeling approach, not much technical)

• UX very fluid. Almost no friction. Every function is stable and reliable.
  • The UI is very clean and simple. No distracting elements in the screen.
  • You can find anything very fast and have immediately the overview around that term in the whole tree.
  • They are advancing with the development and almost every week they release a new lab feature.
  • The Android app is a stand alone development and is very reliable. Good UI.

Remnote is more powerful and packed with more features. I use both.

Do you work with them linearly? Or some projects go to WF and some to RN? (Unrelated! I just downloaded AirTable and like it a lot.)

I’m using more Remnote. For journaling I still do prefer Workflowy because of the Android app.
If I need to do a lot of searching inside the content I put in Workflowy because of the searching performance.
For all database content related I use Notion.