Documenting Inconsistencies due to bad PDFs

Depending on your answer I’ll move this to bug discussion.

I have some issue with the PDF features=

1. Spaces in highlighted text are missing, making the text unsearchable nor readable.

2. some pages are blank (which the most preoccupying for me…)

3. any previous annotation (made from tablet) makes impossible to select a text under it for highlighting (I’ve tried flattening comments, it doesn’t work). Any idea?

Help??

Is there anybody else who has the same issues?

1 Like

Yes, I find empty PDF pages too. A major pain tbh

Hello there! Appreciate the report, definitely appears to be a bug to me. Kindly submit a bug report to the official issue tracker on Github, where the devs will be directly made aware of the issue.

I’ve also have found issues when highlighting from the bottom of a page to the top of the next.

Thanks, just done it. Regarding the other points, see my other reply

1 Like

For those still wondering :

1) Spaces missing : I’m learning that this is completely related to the PDF upload. Results are different from PDF to PDF. For “bad” PDF, the “drivers” actually interprets how many " " (space) depending on the actual width of non-character between the words. Justified text therefore give different result in terms of spacing.

3) highlighting is an additional layer, which goes over the text. Therefore, makes it non-selectable for highlight. At the moment I don’t know a software solution that would place my e-ink annotation below the text.

1 Like

Hi! I found a kind of a bug in pdf files where sometimes the page that you recently highlighted some text disappears, only that recent page. The only way to recover it is closing the pdf and reopening again.

I’ve the same issue + some others. Do you have the other issues as well?

1. Some highlighted text become " Li ke t hat".
  2. Highlights that extend from bottom for the page through the top of the next become problematic.
  3. A lot of blank pages issues after highlighting.

Most of these issues seem to be because of bad PDF files, it’s always difficult to deal with them. Nevertheless I think it’s worthwhile to document these inconsistencies, as it might help the devs come up with a solution in the future.

I have moved this from bug-discussion to macro level discussions. Thank you for the post!

2 Likes

Blank pages still often appear for me. Sometimes it can be reset when changing zoom level … but not all the time. It usually finds it’s way and come back after closing and opening the PDF again.

I’m not so sure if it really related to the PDF or not. Any update on this?