Back button to go back to previously visited document/rem in desktop app

analogous to a back button in the browser.

Honestly, not having a back button is annoying for me as well. One workaround is to use Alt + Left Arrow to back to where you were before you started doing your review or to go back to the previous document

The back button in the browser actually works pretty ok for moving through the rem history. (I recommend to use the shortcut Alt + :arrow_left:/:arrow_right:.)

It works because the currently opened rem is encoded in the URL:

• remnote.io/document/REM_ID opens the rem with ID REM_ID as a page
  • similarly remnote.io/document/LEFT_REM_ID/RIGHT_REM_ID to open two rems in left and right pane
  • append ?locationAnchor=HIGHLIGHT_REM_ID after a page rem ID to focus a specific rem on the page

As long as you use only a single page the back button in the browser works just fine.

What does not work is to open two rems, change the left page (with ctrl + or clicking a reference), then change the right page. If you then focus the left pane and go back in the browser history it actually changes the right pane since it was the last modified one.

The browser history is like this:

1. .../document/LEFT1/RIGHT1
  2. .../document/LEFT2/RIGHT1
  3. .../document/LEFT2/RIGHT2

and you can only go linearly.

I think this should not be too hard to fix modifying the browser history: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/History_API

Also inner page history does not exist yet (related to Structured navigation).

2 Likes

And there is also the thinking trail experimental feature which can be enabled in Settings > Experimental > Breadcrumbs.

is there an option in the desktop app? I don’t believe alt + arrow works in the desktop app.

1 Like

I think there is no Native Desktop App yet. You can only install the website as a PWA app for example. It still runs in the browser. So the shortcut depends on which browser you use. Alt + arrows should work for Chrome and Firefox. I don’t know other browsers.

+1. UX can be improved a lot.

For starters, a back button and breadcrumbs(not the thinking trail thingy, I mean a regular breadcrumb) would greatly improve the navigation experience.

Ive just started using Remnote on mac, instead of windows where I was using it previously. As there is no Alt key, I am not finding this shortcut to go to the previous document/rem. Is there one? I still use it on Chrome but it doesnt seem to be able to go back.

You can find it in the application menu:

Also note that you can remap any menu entry shortcut in the system preferences if you don’t like the default:

But you can do that in RemNote’s shortcut list as well.

1 Like