Structured navigation

I’d find it very useful to have practical ways to move around a rem according to its structure. For example, to move the cursor:

• to the previous/next sibling
  • to the parent
  • to the beginning of the selected rem

I haven’t found satisfactory workarounds so far. Have you?

• There’s Shift+Up which lets you select the previous sibling (or parent if there aren’t any left); after that, pressing Up leaves the cursor at the end of the rem. Even this functionality, as limited as it is, I have found pretty useful.
  • Alternatively, you can move up the selection as mentioned before and then collapse Ctrl+Up and expand Ctrl-Down to then easily navigate on one level at a time. However, this un-hides every rem you might have wanted to keep hidden just for purposes of navigation.
  • Ctrl+s + hierarchical navigation also kinda work but you need to start by searching the current rem.
  • Zoom in and out as needed: not too fast and a bit jarring.

I can think of many possible solutions, but I don’t want to tie down the feature request to any one in particular.

This feature request and this one express similar wishes.

It’s so cool how everything is a rem and every rem can be zoomed into, and suddenly, you are in your own clean document even if it’s actually nested 5 level deep into another. However, much of that power and coolness feels lost to me when moving around the hierarchy feels harder than it could be.

2 Likes

Very much agreed!

Did you have ideas for what keyboard shortcuts you’d like to see for these actions?:

• Move to parent
  • Move to sibling above
  • Move to sibling below

Our keyboard shortcut list is already quite dense, so these are already taken:

• Up / down arrow (navigate)
  • Ctrl + up / down (collapse / expand)
  • Alt + up / down (swap)
  • Shift + up / down (expand selection)

(You can see the full keyboard shortcut menu by clicking the “?” in the bottom right.)

2 Likes

Perhaps it could be Ctrl+h for parent, Ctrl+k for previous sibling and Ctrl+j for next (or Alt).

If I am allowed to dream, mid-term, I’d like to have more possible shortcuts. For example, by allowing compound shortcuts (e.g. Ctrl+M and then J), or having a read/locked/restructure mode where all the letters are now available as shortcuts since you can’t type.

1 Like

We got those in a recent udpate.

I’d like to be able to bind the commands “Move to Rem Above/Below” (currently arrow keys) as well.
This could be used to move out of code blocks if there are no siblings: https://github.com/remnoteio/remnote-issues/issues/370

3 Likes