Card Item should not be preserved when indenting under existing Card Item

I just wanna know who told that it would be a “GREAT IDEA” to make a new card “Automatically” every time the user tries to indent something. Not only that, but also making the previous versions of the app unusable, so that I can’t even use an older version. I have tons of tasks and study and I can’t get anything done because of this stupid feature in the new update, or else I will have all the questions on a lecture as one biga$$ flashcard.

sorry for the harsh language. I’m just freaking out because of the finals

if anyone can help, i would be grateful

1 Like

This update. has really wasted my half day sorting out, but not succeeded.

users need to be given whether to choose “To update or Not to update”. presently it is automatically updating after closing application on exit.

We Need Strong Testing mechanism Than rolling update with glitches.

You mean indenting like pressing Tab? It should not do that.

Could you show me a screenshot/video of that? I want to understand when and how this happens.

yeah! but when I try to make a card inside another concept

here is a video explaining the issue:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lntd4md5dTSrebStlmBEQfxxrel7HZ1z/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

Thanks for the video! That explains it! So it happens only when indenting under existing multiline cards items like cytoplasm! That’s more or less expected.

The reason this happens is because if you press enter on a card item the new rem is automatically made a card item. And the card item power up is also preserved if you indent. I’ll check if this was intended or not.

Workarounds:

• Shift+Tab, Tab: Outdenting removes the card item power up.
  • /card: It’s also removable via slash command.

Describe the bug
There’s nothing wrong with child rems of ordered or unordered lists. HOWEVER when creating second level child rems below one of the rems of the list, WITHOUT ever pressing “>>” RemNote automatically generates an unordered list and also automatic unexpected new flashcards of that list.

Also, even after turning off unintended created flaschards of that list, the hint number of the original list flashcard gets affected taking into account rems of the second level unintended list or even delivering a totally random number but NOT the number of first level rems below the parent.

To Reproduce
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Create an ordered or unordered list Rem
  2. Press TAB on the second, third or another rem of the list (only not the first one logically) as trying to create a second level child rem
  3. See error. It will create a never intended unordered list and unintended flashcards.
  4. Check the hint number of the flashcard of the original parent list.
  5. It will show a random number, but NOT the number of first level rems below the parent.

Expected behavior
Previously we were able to press TAB on one of the rems of ordered and unordered list and create second level child rems without generating an unordered list and flashcards on the process. Also, we were able to press SHIT+TAB and get that rem to return as an item of the original list. (Behaviour showed on the right side of the photo)

Also, the hint number on the flashcard of the original list never used to change and only took into acoount the number of first level rems of the list. (Behaviour showed on the right side of the photo)

Screenshots

Desktop (please complete the following information):

• Windows web versions, Windows RemNote app.
  • Browser: Chrome, Edge
  • Bug appeared since RemNote 1.5 update (08/12/2021)

Smartphone (please complete the following information):

• I own an iPhone, at the time of publishing this report there’s not an iOS app. I can’t tell if this bug appears on Android phones.

Additional context
Previously (7 th of december and backwards) I never noted this bug. Being able to create child rems below rems of a list without forcing us to create a list inside the original one allows us to keep a better order and study better. It gives us freedom to decide how to order our rems, and I thinks that’s the whole idea of RemNote. Please solve this and return to the previous behaviour.

Hi Frank! First of all thanks for answering me, I also want to let you know I created a video explaining this issue only apperaing SINCE 1.5 UPDATE, because RemNote never used to have that behaviour before (creating automatic unintended lists, creating automatic unintended flashcards, and also messing around with the hint number of hoy many items has a list).

Please, I sincerely beg you to watch the video because I demonstrate why RemNote should return to the previous behaviour, and also why RemNote should ONLY take into account the first level child rems of a list in the hint number.

VIDEO LINK (feel free to watch it on 2x speed if you want): RemNote bug: Unintended lists + flashcards automatically created - YouTube

Please, this is not a new request or suggestion. I’ve been using RemNote for months and this bug never appeared before the 1.5 update. I just want RemNote to fix that bug and return to how it was managing lists until the 1.5 update.

I wanna point out that on the bug fixes of the 1.5 update it appears “Fix list item indices from getting jumbled while editing” >> I believe when trying to fix another bug the dev team created this other new bug.

2 Likes

Woah awesome! This is the first youtube video talking to me personall! I feel so honored :smiley: And that’s by far the best bug report I received until today!

Feel free to call me by my first name “Hannes” too! No need to be formal here :upside_down_face:

1. I looked at the code and the “indent preserves card item and makes unintended list” change looks unintentional and I fixed it.

2. Supporting the behavior you describe starting at 5:00 (https://youtu.be/ClF7xnfK_5Y?t=310) would be a larger change.

Currently you’d still have to write this:

• Heart
    • Function 1, pump blood into organs
      • which ones?
        • organ 1
        • organ 2

If I understood your correctly you are totally fine with this style as well. Acutally I think it’s clearer too because it does not have a card item (an answer) that is also a multiline rem (a question) at the same time!

Btw your english is perfect!

4 Likes

I agree, the video was top-notch!

1 Like

@ClaudioBengoaPonce I have this message bookmarked and whenever a user is negative and complaining in a non-constructive way I’ll send them this to show how itxs done! :upside_down_face:

A effective presentation is the way to bring change proactively.

1 Like

Thank you both (@hannesfrank and @Karthikk ) for taking my report into consideration and watching the video! I really hope this great study tool (RemNote) continues growing!! In MY opinion is by far superior to others like Notion, Anki, Obsidian, etc. I really love it and I’m glad I contributed to depurate a bug! :grinning:

3 Likes

UPDATE: problem solved!

2 Likes

Before this last update, I was able to make a series of multiline flashcards, then under each multiline rem I could do standalone descriptor cards.
Here is an example.
Types of dogs:::
Golden retriever
Chihuahua
These dogs are famous for;;being annoying
Pug

The problem is, for the descriptor card under chihuahua, it now will have a black line to the left of it indicating it is a multiline card and a descriptor card when I just want it to be tested as a descriptor card.

The only way to alleviate this problem is to disable the parent flash card (chihuahua in this case)

Hope that makes sense.
You guys are awesome, I love this program. Keep up the great work

@J_K Can you check if you are on v1.5.1 already. This should have been fixed.

Oh great! I am still on 1.5.0 and could not find a way to manually install the update so I will try resetting my PC to see if that helps.

Thanks!

Is there an update button I’m missing? I couldn’t find how to do so after searching the forum.

No, you should not have to reset you PC. If you are using the desktop app the update downloads in the background and when it’s ready you see the button in the sidebar. You may restart the app a single time to make sure it picks up the update. Then when it’s ready you see a blue button at the bottom of the sidebar.

See

for more details.

Alternatively redownload the app from https://remnote.com/download and rerun the installer.

Wonderful, thanks a million!

2 Likes