December 2021 Update - RemNote 1.5

Thanks for the very detailed report @ClaudioBengoaPonce! This helps a lot making the issue clear!

As I see it the main problem here is automatic creation of card items when indenting, right? Another user described this here: Card Item should not be preserved when indenting under existing Card Item

Current workarouds to remove the indented card items

I think the hint number is correct though? In your left/red picture it is 4 for 01, 01.1, 01.2 and 02. The rem Child 03 is not part of the card. You can see that in the Card Preview because it doesn’t show multi rem cards correctly, but you can see that in the (document) queue.

The question is rather if indented card items should count towards the parent card item (right image). I feel this is sometimes useful to express more complex thoughts. If you want to have an indented rem to form a separate card you have to make it not a card item.

Hi Frank! First of all thanks for answering me, I also want to let you know I created a video explaining this issue only apperaing SINCE 1.5 UPDATE, because RemNote never used to have that behaviour before (creating automatic unintended lists, creating automatic unintended flashcards, and also messing around with the hint number of hoy many items has a list).

Please, I sincerely beg you to watch the video because I demonstrate why RemNote should return to the previous behaviour, and also why RemNote should ONLY take into account the first level child rems of a list in the hint number.

VIDEO LINK (feel free to watch it on 2x speed if you want): RemNote bug: Unintended lists + flashcards automatically created - YouTube

Please, this is not a new request or suggestion. I’ve been using RemNote for months and this bug never appeared before the 1.5 update. I just want RemNote to fix that bug and return to how it was managing lists until the 1.5 update.

I wanna point out that on the bug fixes of the 1.5 update it appears “Fix list item indices from getting jumbled while editing” >> I believe when trying to fix another bug the dev team created this other new bug.

4 Likes

Did you disabled the ability to edit PDF excerpts highlighted? :sob: I received a message that the Rem is read-only!

When there are errors in the OCR recognition and specially when there are formulas, editing the excerpted Rem was very useful!

E.g.: This:

becomes this:

Not much useful, don’t you think?

Is there a way of allowing editing these Rem?

5 Likes

This will be reverted.

4 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation, really appreciate you taking the time for this!

These are bugs, and will be fixed soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi All please help on this problem.

What tag are you trying to use? Some Power-Ups cannot be applied manually, e.g. Website, Link,…

Hi @hannesfrank! Any update on this?

Just sharing my experience using the Linking features (already worked in 1.4) with another application on my local Mac:

I am trying the (hyperlinking) in Remnote to a place in an OmniOutliner (.oo) file. I am using Hook. I select some words in the OO file (“Here’s where I need the missing files.”) and then press the Hook keyboard shortcut to make a Hook/link.

Then I immediately go to Remnote (so I don’t knock out what is in the clipboard) and then paste.

Then I can click the hyperlinked text, and it takes me back to the text in the OO doc. The text in OO doesn’t look like a hyperlink. I don’t think Hook-ing it changes it, in the way that

< a name=“blah” >< /a >

doesn’t look like anything.

This Hook application also works to create Remnote-readable-links-to-files in my directories:

So I don’t know if the behavior is different in 1.5, but this was how it worked in 1.4 and seems to be similar.

I would like to have the opposite direction, get a link to a specific Rem (in a document, or top-level, etc) or a highlighted phrase in a Rem, but I suppose that is much harder. Hook doesn’t know what to do when I have highlighted a few words and then click the Hook icon:

I’m not happy with Hook’s pricing scheme, but that is for another user discussion forum!

3 Likes

Hi Karthikk, all the web link cannot be use in version 1.5. Once I copy and paste the link into version 1.5 then jt will come out these error messages. Please kindly fix these bugs ASAP. Thank you.

It’s fixed and we are waiting for Martin to deploy.

2 Likes

Amazing! Good job! Thanks…

1 Like

OK good, but is this going to be a reinstall nightmare again for the desktop app?

I’m not sure how much of the nightmare is caused by unawareness of the update process vs there being actual bugs.

Here is what happens/should happen:

• We deploy an update to server and database.
  • The server notifies all clients (web or desktop app) about the new version.
    • When the database schema of the client and server can mismatch the user is alerted that no sync is happening until the client is updated to match the new database version again. This is shown in a toast at the top right: RemNote has updated, and you can't sync until you refresh.
    • Changes are still saved locally. Users can continue work as long as they like.
    • The Desktop App starts downloading in the background.
  • When the Desktop App has finished downloading a blue button appears in the bottom of the sidebar prompting to restart and install the update. (Again: You don’t have to do this immediately, it just won’t sync until you do.)
  • After the restart the client database is migrated to match the server and sync is enabled again.

One obvious problem here is Desktop App users restart the app as soon as the sync warning toast appears effectively canceling the background download of the new version because they mistake the sync warning to be the prompt to restart. They cannot be blamed and we clarified the sync warning in the Desktop App to be An update is downloading in the background. You can sync again once it is installed.

This will be effective for the update after the next one since this logic has to be installed first. We’ll see if that helps with the confusion :slight_smile:

There was an acutal bug in the Web app update process that required you to do a hard reload with Ctrl + Shift + R instead of just Ctrl + R. It’s fixed.

In the Desktop App, if you don’t see an install button for much longer than it takes to download 140mb after the sync warning appears that would suggest there is an actual bug.

6 Likes

Ok, thanks for the detailed info. So if I’m understanding correctly, RemNote pushes the update without confirming the download with the user first?

If this is what’s going on, is it possible to cancel the update when the sync warning appears and download it at some more convenient time? I am sometimes on a very slow connection and 140MB is a heavy lift. I also don’t appreciate having an update pushed to me for a whole bunch of other reasons.

1 Like

Was this intentional? I don’t understand why you would hide such a key feature.

i think they’re returning this in the toolbar menu in 1.5.1

1 Like

Yeah, it’s here with us on RemNote 1.5.1

Please do reply on this Karthik. I have already sent detailed mail on this.

I believe Martin has responded to your ticket now, thank you for your patience!