Exporting Local KB Images to Sync KB Work Around

Sorry this might be a longer read so if that bothers you I understand if you don’t have the time to read :man_shrugging:
Disclaimer that I am not a developer so I may not explain things in the most technical way but hopefully it can help someone out some way. Often I see things explained in a way where I don’t think people are understanding what is going on but perhaps that is just me

Intro

Initially I was going to use this as a response to this message but started to realize that as I expanded upon the thought that this would not be limited to just back ups with images but the exporting of KBs as well (from a local KB). Since I promised if I found any solutions I would share here we go

Although it has been mentioned to me that the issue of exporting/ importing images is a edge use case I keep seeing others asking or providing criticism/ feedback on such a limitation. Since it seems others value images in their workflow as much as I do I am starting to think it might not be so edge case so I figured maybe I should share a possible work around for those that are interested. I figured I would post here vs Discord so that it can be referred to later if anyone finds value from it. I do not have the time to track down everyone having these same issues so I will leave it to the community to refer them here

I use images a lot in my workflows. As a matter of fact, if images can’t work (including offline) I won’t even waste my time looking at an app. So I have actually looked into images quite a bit & figured I would share a possible option for those that are interested

Recap Issue In Link

As mentioned in the link when exporting from a local KB the images are not included as part of the import into your sync KB. To clarify you do not lose them as you still have them on your device where your local KB resides. However, the expected behaviour in most apps is that when you export something that everything you had with it, including the attachments, go along with the export. So there have been many (rightly so) that are disappointed with the export or even think it is not working properly (understandably)

Why Do I Lose The Image?

When we are using these tools of networked thought apps that are interlinked they are often built on a different type of foundation than we may traditionally maybe used to in other apps from the past. The way in which they are interconnected often separates the note portion from the attachment portion

That is to say when you export a KB in RemNote it separates it into 2 different exports (if it applies). (1) Your KB portion itself, what you enter into it such as your notes, usage of references, portals, etc is exported as a zipped file in the format that you chose when you exported it (2) Your attachments such as images is placed into a separate folder for your files (ironically named by default as files)

The issue that occurs is when we are importing it into our KB if it never existed on RemNote server before. When we choose to import from our local KB, for example, we are given the option to choose the KB file but are not given the option to choose our folder with the images in it. This means that the images are still on our device but will not show up in our sync KB since we were not able to import it

What Is The Work Around?

I will start off by saying that I have not found a work around that works directly in RemNote itself. I realize this may disappoint some users as some want the perfect app where one app does every function. If I find a solution within RemNote I will share at some point

If you are willing to use more than 1 app in your workflow to let the app do the job it is good at I may have an option for you. Before starting there is the option of just using screenshots per image but that is normally only practical for those that use the odd image here & there

You can use a 3rd party storage app such as Dropbox for your files such as your images. I presume this would work with your other cloud services but I have not tested out since I personally use Dropbox. Simply copy your link & embed it (Ctl + G). Do not just paste it directly into a rem since you want to see the image not the link (presumably). If using Dropbox you will need to change the suffix DL=0 to RAW=1

Now when you import your KB you will have all your notes plus the embed will allow you to view all of your images inline. If using Dropbox you would be able to have options such as having the images locally stored as well but that would depend upon your needs

Is There A Catch?

If you do not have the luxury of working in a nice office there is a good chance at some point you are going to lose WIFI & may not have the income level where using data is an option. For me, my schooling has very unreliable WIFI so offline is a must. Using an embed you will lose access to your images (if they are embedded) if RemNote was not already opened before you lost your connection

If you know ahead of time that you will lose your WIFI images make sure you have opened RemNote & not closed the app. This should allow you to keep everything offline

I have noticed on rare occasion if you are zooming into a rem, or switching documents, you sometimes may lose access to an image till you gain WIFI connection again. So it could be prudent to keep your rems unfolded until you are once again in a WIFI reliable area. If you are not wanting to take this risk at all & are using Dropbox you can of course have it set up so you can access your images from your local file manager. There are several other options there but that is organizing things related vs the topic at hand

This only comes into play if offline is an issue for you like me. The key point is there is an option to get it from KB to KB now vs losing access to your attachments

SRS Side Note

Something that I found extremely interesting was that if you use the embed method that you can apply the image occlusion to the images. I found this interesting as the image is actually hosted outside of RemNote itself yet you can apply the occlusions. This translates over to exporting your KBs as well. However, if you go to the source where you are keeping it (in this case Dropbox) it is occlusion free so you can focus on the item at hand

Hopefully this may help someone
Cheers

5 Likes