Handwritten Flashcards

I’d like to be able to create handwritten flashcards directly in RemNote because typing has its limitations and I think that having the possibility to also use a pen will overcome them and also open up now possibilities for learning. In my experience these limitations become most apparent in subjects like maths, physics and chemistry because of the many formulas. Currently if you want to create flashcards involving formulas you almost always have to use LaTeX. That’s mostly fine but there are times where it’s just too cumbersome to work with LaTeX and where I would prefer to handwrite my flashcard instead. Also there are people who don’t really want to learn how to use LaTeX and for them this might be the perfect solution.

Another thing these three subjects have in common is that they heavily rely on practice problems. This is why you often hear from people that flashcard apps like anki aren’t very great for studying maths and physics and that you should instead just do a ton of practice problems. With this feature however we would be able to do practice problems directly in RemNote with the added benefit of spaced repetition. (Basically Goodnotes flashcards but in RemNote) So there’s no extra step anymore of creating flashcards!

I created a series of images to better demonstrate what I have in mind:

(that’s the Goodnotes flashcard template, it ended up really small in RemNote)

This is the reviewing process, a built in Scratchpad in RemNote would be preferred of course

Just got another idea while writing this: Alternatively, why not collaborate with Goodnotes to import and sync Goodnotes flashcards to RemNote. This way you have all the benefits of Goodnotes when creating the handwritten flashcards and all the benefits of RemNote when reviewing them. It also seems like less work for the RemNote team overall.

I need this. I hope it won’t get unnoticed.

4 Likes

I always write notes with my tablet, unfortionately RemNote does not support handwritten notes. You can only type. I’d like this to change since I want to use the app on both my laptop and my tablet as a sort of onenote.

In general I agree with you, but I do think that this feature won’t be that easy to implement into RemNote with it’s “everything is a rem” approach. So sadly I do not see this coming in the near future :slight_smile:
(Correct me if I’m wrong @RemNoteTeam ^^)

I’d love to see the ability to insert a canvas (kinda like a picture) in which you can draw or take handwritten notes :thinking:

Yes! I did already foreshadow the amount of bugs ‘just being able to WRITE rems’ would have. I think that maybe something like a small canvas or creating a different blank document with the sole purpose of only being able to write on it would work. In my vision of how this would work, you’d be able to link the draw-document to a rem-document so it is grouped. Or, I also thought about the idea of using “sticky notes” where you “point to”/link a sentence within your rem-document. The sticky notes would be collected in another sheet like ‘flashcards’ where you could look at them all.

2 Likes