How can I create a subfolder inside a folder

Can I create folders inside folders to organize my notes? I was unable to create a subfolder inside a folder. Kindly guide me.

1 Like

As soon as you turn a rem into a document, the document that rem is in will turn into a folder. Here is a good explanation:

1 Like

I am finding it a bit hard to understand. When I try to “Tag rem as document” I do see a different icon on the left of that point indicating it to be a document but when I click on documents I see all the folders also listed.

As you see in the below screenshot I have marked “Decomposition Methods” under Microservices and “Types” under Monolith as document. Are all the rest folders? If so why do they show up when I click “Documents” on the LHS? For e.g. “Architecture Books” “Monolith” & “Microservices” are all folders right?

I also do not follow what is a “Top Level Rem” as disabled in the second screenshot.

Kindly guide me further. Thanks.

https://imgur.com/5jJrmJjs

Imgur

Top level rem - rem that has no parent in the outliner hierarchy.
Document - rem that has been tagged as a document and will appear in the sidebar.
Folder - rem that is a document and has document children.

To your original question, the distinction between folder and document is only cosmetic and only based on whether they have document children. If you need something to appear in the sidebar, tagging it as document is enough. If you then place that something as a child to another document, that parent document will be turned into a folder with no change in functionality to either.

Right. I understand it better now. I have tagged a few rems as documents and they show up under the “Drafts” section on the LHS (sidebar).

One thing that I didn’t follow is why doesn’t the whole hierarchy show up in the side bar, just the top parent folder shows up even after expanding it through >

In the below screenshot “Architecture Patterns” is the top parent rem while “Microservices” & “Monolith” are subfolders that have one or more rems marked as documents. Why don’t “Microservices” & “Monolith” subfolders and their underneath documents show up in the “Draft” section? Do I need to do something to see the complete hierarchy?

Imgur

In the screenshot, “Microservices” & “Monolith” don’t show a folder or document icon, they look like plain Rems.

Documents nested under a parent that isn’t a Document won’t show up in the Sidebar.

So just turn “Microservices” & “Monolith” into documents/folders as well, to get the hierarchy you want here. :upside_down_face:

How do I mark a rem as a folder? I see a option “Tag as a document” but I don’t see any option to convert a rem to a folder.

Thanks

So just tag those two as documents. :slightly_smiling_face:

Now I follow it well how to organize documents in remnote. Thanks for helping out.