How do I generate cards in only a single direction?

How do I generate cards in only a single direction?

Option A: Manual Fix
Control the direction of the cards generated by any Rem by hovering over the card icon in the bottom toolbar and selecting the appropriate option.

(Hover over each option to view its hotkeys.)

Option B: Using the Correct Rem Type
There are three types of Rem:

1. “Concepts” start with an uppercase letter and generate both forward and backwards flashcards.
  2. “Descriptors” start with a lowercase letter and only generate forward flashcards
  3. “Questions” end with a question mark and only generate forward flashcards.

If you don’t want the backwards flashcard, you probably want to use a Question (end your prompt with a question mark).

If you wish, you can stick with using these capitalization conventions only for quick-entry. Alternatively, you can use the full Concept/Descriptor Framework convention described here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y19N7fFB8rg

1 Like

Hi, I would like to pin point smtg about the backward system.

Concept are meant to be parents. So it’s perfectly adapted for front and back wards. Descritors are meant in a way to be the final descendant. It’s meant to be the word of the definition, way of speaking. But when you put a descriptor in backward, the hidden part under the question mark jumps directly to the concept parent (which can be far) , instead of just switching from the definition to the descriptor.

Let me retake the hamburger example. If I describe the tomato (descriptor) as a red fruit used as a vegetable (description). If I put “Red fruit used as a vegetable” I won’t ask “Tomato” but instead I will climb up to “Hamburger” which is the ““nearest”” concept.

I would like to be able to just switch the direction of the question, not jumping far up. I’m in medical school and to most pratical logic to learn symptoms and pathologies would be in direct backward. The diagnosis isn’t about the classification, it is only about associating the right description to the right descriptor.

More concrete example. up to 30 events/hour is described as severe in the polysomnographic index of sleep apnea. The descriptor here is “severe” for >30e/h, I want severe to be hidden in backward, not polysomnographic index, nor sleep apnea.

Thanks in advance for the reading and the concern.
Sorry for the dense msg, the enter key doesn’t want to space the paragraphs.