How exactly do RemNote's search features work?

I’m talking about this

I’d love to use it more but I don’t understand how it works, seems really inconsistent. For example in that image above, when I type space, no rems are suggested anymore even though I got rems containing that word as you can see here in this image
Another weird thing is when I select words

How are these two different and why can’t it find any equivalent text? I wrote down “Welche” right below it twice but that doesn’t make a difference and rems containing that word also seem to get ignored.

My guess right now is that this is a forgotten feature that hasn’t really been worked on. I’d find it pretty useful though because I like to write my rems very similarly so that I’m forced to focus on the key words to recall the answer. The only thing I could find in the tutorial is this RemNote but it doesn’t look the same anymore and the tutorial doesn’t explain too much about it.

@88DM88 The default search is fuzzy in nature, not an ‘exact’ text search. It takes all the stuff you type in as the inputs, runs it through some ‘smart’ algorithm, ranks the results and shows that to you.
Fuzzy can be handy when searching for multi word text. For example, I use the second approach (/h po) to insert a search portal as opposed to /search p
normal_vs_fuzzy_search

There is a good chance that the search and ranking algorithm turned out to be ‘dumb’ with your document/KB. Maybe because of too much non English text? One potential solution would to do an exact text search. You can force ‘exact’ text search by typing in the search term as ‘quoted’ text like this

Yeah I think it’s the German text, I’ve seen other weird behaviour happen before with for example ä ö and ü. Hope the algorithm can be improved a little to consider other languages but until then I will just use the filter. Thanks for the answers. Also the automatic search suddenly works again.

Selecting a word will show you KB results and clicking any of the results will insert a portal to the rem that you clicked on.

On the other hand, the Insert Existing Rem pop-up arises when you begin to create/type a rem that already exists in the rem that you are in. This is usually the case when you’ve hidden the rem and forgotten about it and start to type it again. It essentially prompts you to let you know that the rem already exists.
If you click on one of the results from this menu, it will simply add that rem (or show, rather) to the document.

My guess as to why no results come up when you type Welche with a space is that it thinks that that’s the end of the text in the rem. If you were to continue typing (for example, ‘Einfluss’ or even just ‘E’) after the space, it may show you those results. Not 100% sure, though.

Ok I understand the insert existing rem pop-up now but not why it’s so inconsistent. Like with the space after welche

Welche R doesn’t do anything even though I got two rems right above it that should be shown and Welche W also doesn’t work, which should show this rem that’s somewhere in that same document Even writing the same text word for word doesn’t show any results anymore but it always stops showing existing rem after I type space.

And about the automatic searching, what do you mean with KB results? Like existing text in another document? I tried that but it didn’t make a difference. Do you maybe have an example of it working?

Ok I found the appropriate section in the tutorial RemNote and I tried out some more things with the search features in RemNote. cmd+p works perfectly fine, the automatic searching as well but the automatic prefix search makes zero sense. I don’t understand its logic at all. Probably has another algorithm than the other two because they search the entire knowledge while the prefix search “is restricted to Rem that are siblings or descendants of the Rem you’re typing in”. Maybe it’s the algorithms definition of “Rem with related names” that messes up the experience for me. I can’t even make it work with the spanish example that they mention in the tutorial. Just me?

These “long form” tutorials have apparently been disabled, as I can no longer bring them up. When I try, the sidebar says I don’t have any sidebar sections configured (which is not true) and prompts me to restore the defaults “Pinned, Draft and Finished” which I have. This does not work. I am not going to belabor this, as the long form tutorial are probably way out of date.