June 2022 Update - RemNote 1.8

Hello!
I have a problem:
“Synced 19 hours ago
You are connected to the server and your changes are automatically syncing.”

“An update is downloading in the background. You can sync again once it is installed.” - and after 20 hours conected to the internet, is still downloading and i cant sync my files…

2 Likes

Same problems. At least users should have a choice whether to upgrade or not…

3 Likes

On macOS Firefox, new.remnote.com seems to work fine for me.
Desktop app still stuck in upgrade not progressing, I can’t even quit it. And I’m not sure forcing to quit is a very good idea. Since almost all of my knowledge bases are local, I can’t work at all anymore, waiting for a solution, like many I guess.

3 Likes

On new.remnote i have completely different database in comparison to the normal remnote.com which works perfect for me. Interesting.

@fdarnel Yes, I agree. at least they should prompt a pop-up message with yes or no option
@davidmasp & @piotrj As you guys said, remnote has a better feature among other PKM. but due its bug, I really want to quit it. However all my important notes are in this rem. I can’t leave as just like that. coz my entire project details worth time and money are here… team should consider this and give us option of choosing the update version.
Did you guys try syncing local knowledge base? I think syncing will not be big a problem if it was local knowledge base. Since, I have good internet connection. I no longer need them. But I saw this in one of the forum.
If anyone has synced your rem with local storage. Please let me now :pray:t3:

2 Likes

I thought my computer was less reliable that theirs so didn’t have a local file. Maybe I was wrong.

The export json that I did just now looks like if it worked though.

@davidmasp Oh k. I just downloaded desktop version from new.remnote website. Now, all my data is synced. So far no problem. I better backup my files on daily or weekly basis.

Agree with the main point, but here are features of 1.8 that I consider essential and should have been implemented since the beginning, before things like pdf integration:

• Total data ownership: The desktop app now saves all your data in a single local file that you can easily access, copy, delete or move.
  • Tabs
  • Right side bar history (absolutely essential for theory builders/people who spend a lot of time reflecting and refining ideas)

I don’t think that a synchronization of local databases is currently achievable easily. This is a regular backup of .json documents and image files. Personally in an automatically duplicated folder in a cloud as a precaution.

Hey Everyone,
I have the same problems as mentioned before with the new update Remote App on my Mac (M1, OS Monterey).
For me it helped to downloaded the actual version from the Website and replace it with the updated version. But after a while the update button is going to show up again, do not press it :wink:

Hi everyone,
It seems the new site new.remnote.com is also throwing similar messages linked to sync as the original site.
I am not sure how to resolve the issue. It might be good if we can have an update from the Remnote team as it looks like I might need to suspend the use of the app till all the bugs get sorted out.
The app version is showing 1.8.3.

1 Like

Hi,
Should we force sync the desktop app or simply wait?
Thanks

It keeps getting better. Love what the team has done!

1 Like

I second Matawa. From what I could tell, the devs were clear that if you chose to upgrade by directing your browser to new.remnote.com, you wouldn’t be able to use the desktop app anymore. I’ve kept this in mind, have begun using 1.8 via Chrome on Windows, and have LOVED the new update as it has crushed many niggling bugs and made use more stable and snappier in countless small ways.

HOWEVER, it does sound like some people did not opt for the update, are being forced to go through the porting process, and are encountering errors. I have ~48k rem and the process only took a few minutes for me, but it sounds like there are legitimate critiques to be made if this stuff is true.

Excited for the full release and the return of the desktop app!

The team released the full update to everyone at once yesterday, which has been the root cause of all problems we are seeing now. I opted for the new.remnote.com too, and now start noticing discrepancies between my main server and the testing server. You might want to check yours as well.

Ok good to know. When I go to the old remnote.io, the page hangs and doesn’t load. Again, this is consistent with what I expected to happen given the guidance from the devs that opting into 1.8 would disable access to “the normal remnote.com, mobile app, or desktop app until we release RemNote 1.8 in a few days.”

I am sorry to hear that there’s an automatic, compulsory rollout causing problems for some.

No, it is not consistent with the guidance, which says it would disable access to “the normal remnote.com, mobile app, or desktop app until we release RemNote 1.8 in a few days” as you quoted here.

Given that they indeed released the full RemNote 1.8 to everyone all at once yesterday, the guidance does not apply anymore. After the full release yesterday, users should be able to have access to all servers, including remnote.com and desktop app, only of which is consistent with the guidance they provided. The fact that you still have no access to the normal remnote.com page is a direct contradiction to their guidance, thus leading to a huge inconsistency and countless problems we see in the forum and discord.

Here are three more information for you:

1. The desktop app is now on 1.8.3, instead of 1.8, which is definitive evidence for a full release, as supported by the admins in discord. Even with the 1.8.3 update, problems still persist.

2. There is an automatic, compulsory upgrading for all users, not some, confirmed by the admins in discord too.

3. Some dev suggest that there may or may not be sync issues between different servers, i.e., the normal and new.remnote.com, later on. Using new.remnote.com right now cannot guarantee your data will be stored when you have access to the normal remnote.com again. If I were you, I would watch out for a potential data loss of days of works.

Again, all these problems are inconsistent with the guidance provided by the team, so the users have every right to complain and point them out. I see no way to defend issues we are seeing right now. The team should take the full responsibility and act professionally to remedy the problems.

5 Likes

“Given that they indeed released the full RemNote 1.8 to everyone all at once yesterday, the guidance does not apply anymore.”

I was operating under the assumption that no full release would be unaccompanied by an announcement in this forum. Since there has been no announcement from the devs, I figured that whatever is happening is not a full release of a finished product and that the guidance I quoted would still apply.

“The desktop app is now on 1.8.3, instead of 1.8, which is definitive evidence for a full release…”

I see that the version number is updated in my Chrome instances of new.remnote, but I do not interpret this is “definitive evidence” of a full release. It could be that 1.8.1 and 1.8.2 were tested and discarded in the process of this partial release/beta testing that the devs seemed to be pursuing.

“1. There is an automatic, compulsory upgrading for all users, not some, confirmed by the admins in discord too.”

When I said, “I am sorry to hear that there’s an automatic, compulsory rollout causing problems for some,” I meant that the problems are only affecting some users, not that there is a compulsory rollout only for some users. I make no claim at all about the proportion of users affected by the compulsory rollout.

Just wanted to clear that up! Your censorious posture may be totally justified, I just wanted to offer my perspective to balance out the predominantly negative views on offer in this forum. :slight_smile:

This update disaster is probably the last straw for me. I’m already looking at how to migrate to Logseq.

If/when this update actually completes, it had better be amazing and fix a bunch of the problems that have made it so unpleasant to use RemNote, or I’m done. Enough is enough.

5 Likes
  1. It is an unjustified assumption that “no full release would be unaccompanied by an announcement in this forum.” The dev team neither states it in their “guidance” nor does it stay inactive in other platforms, such as the discord channel. There have been indeed announcements of full release from the devs, take this message for instance, in which the team states “RemNote 1.8 - The Extensibility and Performance Update is ready for everyone.” I believe this announcement is much more justified than the assumption you are operating without proper justification. Furthermore, a lack of communication from the team about current problems is evidence of incapabilities and unprofessionalism in PR and community management.

2. Put aside how you “interpret” full release, an 1.8.3 release is definitely a post-product of the 1.8 update, which then again points out the inconsistency between the guidance and the current issues we are facing, since users neither have access to normal remnote.com nor desktop app. The fact that you label 1.8.0, 1.8.1, and 1.8.2 as partial release/beta testing shows the inconsistency between your arguments. Since you understand that the automatic and compulsory upgrading are for all users after our previous posts, this release cannot be a beta testing. Unless we have different definitions of “automatic,” “compulsory,” and “beta-testing” in this context. This is not to mention those users who opted not to test new.remnote.com but now are affected the most, because the release to normal remnote.com is automatic for all.

3. Last but not least, the opinion that “the problems are only affecting some users” is also counterfactual, since devs in the discord admitted that the upgrading has been affecting every user, that they have stopped the system from syncing to process overloaded amounts of requests, that they had to upgrade the server capacity while hoping the upgrading can be processed with no estimated times. Moreover, the problems are affecting users who need access to normal remnote.com and may have sync problems for those using new.remnote.com right now. I would say that these two groups contain almost all users, except for those already gave up on the software. The “some users” in this context has almost no referent.

I also just want to clear all things up, in an effort to stop the spread of falsified claims and unjustified assumptions. Your defense may also be justified, if one accepts all your assumptions and only read messages in this forum while ignoring announcements and communication on other channels. I just wanted to offer my perspective so that users can feel not being held responsible when pointing out the team’s problems.

I forgot to put a link to the discord message mentioned above, so I edited this post. My apology.

1 Like