June 2022 Update - RemNote 1.8

As to paragraph 1:

I do not follow the dev team in Discord. You may think that makes my thoughts/assumptions unjustified. Fine. :slight_smile: I was not able to access the discord link you posted, and I don’t care to comment on it.

Paragraph 2:

“Since you understand that the automatic and compulsory upgrading are for all users after our previous posts, this release cannot be a beta testing.” This is a false claim about what I have said. In fact what I said was, “I make no claim at all about the proportion of users affected by the compulsory rollout.”

Paragraph 3:

In support of my claim that “the problems are only affecting some users” I can point to my own experience. I have used new.remnote.com since it was available, and I have encountered very few problems while using. In fact, I’ve gotten a lot of good work done on the app in that time! I can also point to user Matawa who seems to be happy with the update as well.

JRY, from what you have said you are likely more informed than me about the problems going on in Remnote. I applaud you taking the time to voice your criticisms. However, there is nothing you can do to refute the fact that MY experience with the software has been extremely positive, and there is nothing you can say to persuade me or any other reasonable person that a software user is not perfectly justified in sharing their personal experience with the software online.

1. As a rule of thumb, getting sufficient information before presenting one’s argument should be philosophically and scientifically self-evident. I have no intention of repeating this common sense. Since you cannot access the discord post, I will kindly post here as a picture.

Fun fact: this was posted under the “Annoucements” section on Discord.

1. It is a false claim that you “make no claim at all about the proportion of users affected by the compulsory rollout,” because you stated that “the problems are only affecting some users, not that there is a compulsory rollout only for some users.” In this context, “only affecting some users” speaks to your idea of the proportion of users affected by the rollout, not all, not most, but “only some users.”

2. Apparently, here is a critical premise that you haven’t grasped on so far: the 1.8 release was automatic, compulsory, and non-negotiable for all users, including those opted not to test out the new.remnote.com. These users are affected the most, since they can no longer have regular access to the normal remnote.com after the 1.8 update. Even if they used new.remnote.com now, they did not do it by choice, but by problems caused in this mandatory update. Unless the team states in their guidance that “everyone ought to use new.remnote.com and that is the only solution,” I see no defense on the consistency between what is happening now and what the guidance stated.

Furthermore, you may have enjoyed the new.remnote.com, as I did. The fact that the new.remnote.com is working or not bears no relevant in this context, since it is supposed to be an optional decision while the disastrous full release to all normal remnote.com users were “automatic” and “compulsory.” One step further, the fact you are using own experience is a lack of evidence to support a general claim. While “Matawa seems to be happy with the update,” which I assume to be the optional new.remnote.com update, though I am not entirely sure and could be totally wrong, all others in this post and many other posts have pointed out problems after problems, leaving positive feedback rarely found. If we are pointing out “own experience” to back our claims, I find the force is with me.

Last but not least, I DON’T care about YOUR experience. I have no intention to refute your “extremely positive experience,” as I have no interest in caring about your experience whatsoever. You are not of an interest for me on whatever level we are talking about. My main motive from the very beginning is to point out the inconsistency between what is happening and what is stated in the guidance, protecting others’ rights to complain and to give criticism from your “consistency argument.” YOUR experience is 100% valid and I have NO intention to refute, as I have no interest in your business. You can have an extremely positive or negative experiences and see whether I care.

To be honest, your “consistency argument” is actually attempting to “persuade other reasonable person that a software user is not perfectly justified in sharing their personal experience with the software online,” for those users should not complain so much of their problems because you believe what is happening and what is promised is consistent. You are preventing others from sharing their personal (yet negative) experiences, not me.

Also, a reasonable person/user (let assume there is such being) would be better off pointing out the issues and attempting to prevent them from happening the next time. Defending mistakes on an unjustified ground warrants further disasters. Instead of stating “1.8.3.” is not a full release of “1.8.0,” we can be better off thinking of ways to mitigate the issue in the future, perhaps having a more efficient rollout system, etc. When talking about reasonableness, I see even less reason not to put out criticism and acknowledge others’ negative experiences.

1 Like

I’ll respond to you privately, since I am certain this discussion no longer interests anyone but the two of us. :slight_smile:

Please don’t. My interest is not to persuade you, but to protect others’ rights to speak whatever they experience, negative or positive.

2 Likes

JRY, it is so, so absurd to say that anything I’ve said is “preventing others from sharing their personal experiences.” If that is what you believe, then there really is no point in engaging with you.

You are obviously better informed than me about Remnote’s bugs/issues, and you are obviously an intelligent person. I hope you stay active on this forum and hold the devs to a high standard. Let’s put this mind-numbing back and forth to rest.

Nope, I did not claim that whatever you say is “preventing others from sharing their personal experiences,” only the part you defend the team’s mistakes and invalidate users’ negative experiences by using a “consistency argument”. I believe that I made it perfectly clear in my second paragraph from the bottom up.

As I stated above, I have no interest in engaging with you except to point out that others do have every right to complain about this disastrous, automatic, compulsory upgrading even for those opted not to test out at first.

You are too obviously an intelligent person and I appreciate the polite yet intellectually challenging conversation we have had. Don’t take this as a personal attack. I am just firmly believing that criticism and rights to complain help a product go much further, rather than concealing a team’s weak spot in creating a smooth updating process and a lack of experience in communicating with users through proper community management. As you can see my title, I am a lifelong learner and have started using RemNote ever since its beta testing back in 2019/2020. I have faith and stake in helping it become a better tool, and therefore, maintaining a healthy channel of criticism is an interest of me, not your own experience. I just cannot tolerate the spread of unjustified claims with a potential ramification of shutting down genuine feedback.

I do agree, let’s put this mind-numbing back and forth to rest, and I wish you a great day ahead.

2 Likes

hey thanks for reminding me of Logseq, seems like it has grown a lot, last time i checked it didnt have flashcards

Is migration from Remnote to logseq gonna be very difficult? because Remnote has all these hyperlinks, portals, references, images, pdfs :scream: etc. I dont think they are gonna be preserved.

Even migrating within Remnote things are broken most of the time, afaik the only robust way is to export entire knowledge base, then import it into different knowledge base.

2 Likes

This update has genuinely got me reevaluating using this app. It has been days and I still have sync issues. Almost had a heart attack this morning because the work I did on my thesis didn’t show up on my mac web client despite having written it on my windows web client.

Anything I write on my mac is refusing to sync!

1 Like

I can’t give an informed answer about this because I haven’t done it yet. Supposedly Logseq will convert the RemNote JSON, but these kinds of things are always a big hassle under the best of circumstances. I’ve been wanting to clean up my database anyway, so migrating might be an opportunity to do that.

1 Like

Well im migrate to logseq, remnote was a stupid mistake and a waste of money. Vaporware

I am also experiencing lost data of my Rems added yesterday. Also advise not adding content to RemNote until they fix the syncing problems.

P.S: My Rems indeed reapaeared, and by now I think no data was lost.

1 Like

I agree with the consensus. Even as a life-long learner using RemNote as my first PKM, I can’t help but feel a little disappointed with the team’s management. As a PKM tool, I’d also expect reliability and consistency with frequent bug fix updates rather than infrequent feature updates with bloat. RemNote is in full damage control right now, and I hope that critical issues get fixed in a timely manner.

2 Likes

I don’t know how anyone would defend RemNote regarding this disastrous upgrade. With PKM it’s all about stability. Time and time again the team has shown their incompetence. Tell me the last “big” upgrade with no major problems and huge disappointment. I’ve used several tools and never had to deal with so much BS with updates. The RemNote team need to own up and had better make sure crises like this won’t happen again.

1 Like

The Remnote Team has received 3 millions dollar por developing… they spent all in drugs???

2 Likes

We really appreciate all the feedback, patience and support. The past two days have been extremely busy for us. We pushed the 1.8 update after receiving extensive feedback from 500 early testers and doing a couple of rounds of bug-fixes. This ensured the app & the update was stable, reliable and gave an overall positive UX upgrade from 1.7, however the servers failed on us due to an overwhelming load caused by the heavy backend migration that happened with our Database shift.

We have been constantly putting out fires, sending out quick-fixes, reducing the load on the servers by limiting sync etc., and the lack of timely support from our server providers made it impossible for us to fix these issues as fast as we would’ve liked to fix them.

We are still working on this day and night to get everything back online despite the fact that some of us are down with Covid (like it can’t get any worser).

TBH we have had our hands tied with the support tokens and discord, it’s completely on us that we didn’t share more info to the forum.

What to do if you are facing issues:

If anyone is having trouble accessing RemNote, please try reinstalling the latest version from remnote.com/download

If that doesn’t fix the issue, try using the web-app on remnote.com or new.remnote.com or beta.remnote.com

If none of the above is working for you, kindly let us know we will work on giving you access asap.

If you are seeing syncing errors, that is expected. Your data is still being saved locally on your disk, and will sync automatically once the servers are up again. If you are using different apps currently there is a chance that you might not see the newly added notes (that you added in a different device/app) but they should all merge back normally once the servers are up again.

If you are seeing Login expired errors - do not worry, it was caused by one of our attempts at fixing the sync issue. Try logging back in, and if that’s not responsive, close the browser/ desktop app once and open it back again - this should automatically log you back in.

If none of the above works, please come to discord - we are active all the time there trying to fix things.

We apologise for the inconvenience. We will address the feedback once the servers are stable again.

9 Likes

Thank you for the update, very concise and for me reassuring as I am really enjoying using this program. Best wishes to you and your team as you work through the covid issue and will try your recommendations. Thanks again!

Update: We have deployed a fix and most of the issues should be fixed and the sync should be progressively work for everyone. Please let us know if you are still facing other issues.

4 Likes

Brother, everything is working properly, sync gets little bit delaying but workable, no problem.

1 Like

Thank God! Everything is back to normal for mee! Phew

1 Like

Sync is ok! Great job. But in the firefox browser problems with long sentences …

1 Like