PDF Annotation - Navigate forwards and backwards

Typical PDF viewers have some way (e.g. Alt + Left Arrow and Alt + Right Arrow) to jump back to previous location or to jump forwards. Having something like this in the form of shortcut keys or buttons will make navigation easier.

Right now, if I click an internal link in a PDF (e.g. a citation) in the PDF viewer, I have to scroll back to wherever in the document I was when I clicked it. This can be really frustrating when clicking many citations, and often I find myself working around it by having another copy of the PDF open to the references section (though this is still pretty unideal). Many PDF viewers (e.g. PDF Expert) will feature a convenient button to allow you to jump back to where you clicked the internal link from.

I guess you are referring to this FR PDF Annotation - Navigate forwards and backwards which got created immediately after PDF highlight got released. Not sure why no one is annoyed by not having this feature.

1 Like

Yes, that! I suppose these topics are a bit redundant in that case.

By the way, there is the potential workaround of having an outline in your note-taking area which contains highlight-links to each of the section headings and such; when you click a link that takes you elsewhere, you can click back on the section heading or similar to go back to the vicinity. Maybe that is part of why people are not annoyed about it. However, this workaround is unideal and not everyone uses that kind of note-taking workflow to begin with.

The workaround might be made easier via PDF Annotation - Clickable and scrollable outline.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, but the PDF I am working on has around 1300 pages and links can take me almost anywhere in that PDF :sweat_smile: Thankfully, devs implement a way to directly jump to a page number. So I just note the page number before clicking on a link and manually jump back to that page number after reading that link

I think the workaround I mentioned might still apply. You could even use the more hacky workaround of placing a temporary pin right on the page you want to jump back to (and putting that pin in some other pane you have open) and then clicking the pin after you’ve clicked the link.